Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

Question Helmets

So I have been doing a few searches on helmets after a bad fall this weekend. Wish I had ran that search last week!

I'll rank this one as the 3rd hardest in my 25+ years on the water. The funny thing is #1 was not barfooting it was kneeboarding many years ago in a failed backflip attempt. I woke up on the platform thanks to my quick thinking boat driver and his brother. This weekends hit was on working on my off side trying to just jump hte wake. The result as a headfirst slam into the wake that ejected me from my new murray boots and made me loopy for an hour or so, then a large headache for the rest of the afternoon.

So now I want a helmet, the protec looks like the way to go, but I see some with short bills on them. I fear this might catch the water and make the crash worse on my neck or chin where the straps are.

Thoughts?????
    It is better barefoot!

I will not try and inverts or spins without my Pro Tec Ace Wake helmet. With all the debris in the water and the insane wipeouts, I am afraid to ride without one. I would rather look goofy then pay the price. Just my .02
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    I will not try and inverts or spins without my Pro Tec Ace Wake helmet. With all the debris in the water and the insane wipeouts, I am afraid to ride without one. I would rather look goofy then pay the price. Just my .02

I'm not quite at the "invert and spinning stage" but I also have the Pro Tec Ace Wake helmet. I don't wear it all the time even though I prob should....I bought mine after one of my many failed wake to wake jumps that I landed but was so excited I forgot to edge out. Board flat, caught an edge and slammed the back of my head. No fun!
    Contrary to popular belief, a boat does not run on "Thank Yous"

Protec with the earcovers. I hit an eardrum hard some time ago. No neck issues with the helmet. No headaches either. SD2

I've got the Pro-Tec Ace Wake... Great! No headaches, no worries. Get one. Everybody that goes with me has one also...

WORD OF CAUTION..
    make sure straps are snug!
    There are always people on both sides of the helmet issue...
    We got my wife one to help her feel more comfortable riding after her surgery. Her first time out, second set she got in some bad chop and took a face plant! Helmet came down and hit top of her nose-NOSE BLEED and blacked both her eyes! NOT A GOOD first trip.

I don't know that she'll keep wearing hers now... She is not trying any inverts or even wake to wake though!

Seemingly, most agree that riding sliders is a good time to wear one, but put a post on wakeworld about helmets for general riding and let the storm fly!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I make both my boys wear one and they hate it cuz it ain't cool. Smallest one took a backwards slam on a spin this weekend, rolled back to the boat and thanked me for making him wear one! We all wear a pro-tec and nobody gets to ride without one including friends.
    just my two cents.

We wear helmets for hydrofoiling all the time, it only takes once coming down flat on your head riding at 28 mph, or busting out an ear drum. It's like hitting concrete. At any rate IMO the Pro tec helmets are garbage. The ear straps are always falling off and in one season it starts peeling. Best helmet, this again of course is my opinion is the Evolution from Vozsports.com, check it out. Expensive but strap stays on and you can even get a skull grill for you hardcores Fairly new company, but make some great stuff.

Chad

Just bought my son his helmet today. I rather be safe than sorry for him. He may not think so. I let him read a thread on hear about a guy slicing his head open doing some tricks. He changed his mind about the helmet issue.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

I have the helmet with the short bill and love it. face planted last year when i was first learning and my head hurt for two days. Next trip out with my new helmet, face plant again and I just popped up and smiled. I'm convinced the little bill breaks the water ahead of my face. Just ordered my wife one last week with a short bill as well.

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/Acces...Helmets/byerly

I agree with keeping it as tight as you can get it, unlike we do on our dirtibkes/quads. a few people laughed at us with our helmets until they crashed good then asked to borrow them. Essential piece of equipment.