Default Binding and Fin Adjustments

Hey, guys - Need advice regarding my ski.

Have a 69 in. Connelly F1X w/ double boot. Am 6'2" 170 pounds. Best ever was 15 off at 32 mph. This summer have no access to a slalom course.

From the factory, the boots are centered on the middle set of mounting holes and the fin adjustment is set to 0 degrees.

Questions:

What can I expect from dialing in the binding placement and fin setting?
    Will the changes be so subtle that only a real good skier would notice the benefit?
    Are they significant enough that I would notice?
    Is it worth my while to play around with the settings?
    What is affected by changing the placement of the bindings?
    What is affected by adjusting the fin to more than 0 degrees?

Thanks! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I am afraid that I can't help much, but the lastest issue of Waterski Mag says to start with the Binding placement first. After trying that then adjust the wing. Last, move the fin. They warn about fin movements because adjustments are "infinate". Hope this helps. The pros say that factory settings are pretty good and they are set there based on the design of the ski.

"What can I expect from dialing in the binding placement and fin setting?
    Will the changes be so subtle that only a real good skier would notice the benefit?
    Are they significant enough that I would notice?
    Is it worth my while to play around with the settings?
    What is affected by changing the placement of the bindings?
    What is affected by adjusting the fin to more than 0 degrees?"

Try the ski and find out what you like and don't like about it. Binding placement will aloow you to find your center so to speak. moving them will either slow you down or speed you up. you will notice the changes. do small changes and only one at a time. Mostly like I said figure out what works and does not and go from there. check out waterski mag .com for better ideas. Keep notes and just incase you get confused you could always go back to a point and do somethng different. Just My $0.02 but this is how I always did things
    Share The Water
    2006 Outback V

Sled491 Guest

Deerfield,

Typically the binding placement is set for the type of ski. Some skiis are designed for a forward stance, some for Neutral, and some for tip up. If you understand what the ski was designed to do that's a start. The 1st thing I always do, adjust the cheater to give me maximun suction on the tail, but that is just me and my style, and I have been on the same brand for a decade. I have only moved a fin once and that was forward. I found the change I wanted immediately and never moved it again.

It's like set up for racing, keep notes, and with todays tech era, take some pics. Keep your sets short so that you can repeat the pass a few times to see or feel the effect. Not a good idea to make the changes of a period of time, as most peoples sense of feel is not consistant (face we're just not at that level).

See ya at the reunion. Water on the Fox river by my house 60 degrees monday. Yikes!!

Guys - I appreciate the suggestions and comments. Will let you know if I am able to tell a difference in the ski's performance and the adjustments that fit best for me. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I adjust my fin a lot each year mostly for water temp changes... I am not sure If I would though without use of a course. I have always considered binding movement to be a large adjustment and fin movement to be a small adjustment. This is assuming you are making adjustments of 1/2 to 1 turn of the screws. Remember... If you make an adjustment to one end of your fin and do not adjust the wing back to the degree you had it, then you are actually making two adjustments at once. Not that this is bad.... just something to think about. Play with it and see if you notice the differences. Good Luck
    I mess with Texas