Default Vdrive for slalom?

I'm thinking about getting a Vdrive boat for skiing and general boating. I use to do the tourney slalom thing running behind mastercrafts and Ski natiques. I never really cared for the slalom wakes of natiques vs the Mastercraft.

But the new Vdrives seem to be the rage and offer more room and are suppose to be good for slalom. I don't wakeboard so the slow speed wakes are not a concern.

The things I did not like about mastercraft non vdrives were they rode super rough in any kind of chop and they vibrated quite abit.

Anyone here know how a vdrive wake compares to a mastercrafts at 36mph? How does it compare to and I/O wake at 36mph?

I just want to get an idea of what to expect.

Looking at the Outback LSV for my next boat. How is it in the chop?

We have an 03 Mobius LSV and it handles rough chop really well, we've been out on some pretty windy days and never had an issue with wind or waves. We love the seating arrangement compared to an inboard, it's great if you take a lot of people on the boat.
    We primarily wakeboard but we have run the boat through the slalom corse a few times. @ 36 the wake isn't going to be as small as an inboard but it's tons better than an i/o. We've had some friends who've run the corse with a pretty shortline and thought that wakes were very good.

Thanks for the reply! That makes me feel better that you pulled some good skiers behind it and they liked the wakes.

I/Os are skiable but if you are too far forward and hit that wake at speed you can get launched into a full layout quickly.

I am willing to tradeoff some in order for the boat to be more versitile. Out lake is small and calm but I like to take the boat out to large lakes or bays. The flat bottom Mastercrafts will almost break apart, they ride like a brick.

I have never looked at a Vdrives hull in terms of where the prop shaft comes out. I read they are backwards vs inboards.

Do you know where I can get of picture of bottom of one off the net?

I went to a few boat sites and they never mention anything about how a Vdrive works or why its better.

Orginally posted by sextons

We have an 03 Mobius LSV and it handles rough chop really well, we've been out on some pretty windy days and never had an issue with wind or waves. We love the seating arrangement compared to an inboard, it's great if you take a lot of people on the boat.
    We primarily wakeboard but we have run the boat through the slalom corse a few times. @ 36 the wake isn't going to be as small as an inboard but it's tons better than an i/o. We've had some friends who've run the corse with a pretty shortline and thought that wakes were very good.

Thanks for the reply! That makes me feel better that you pulled some good skiers behind it and they liked the wakes.

I/Os are skiable but if you are too far forward and hit that wake at speed you can get launched into a full layout quickly.

I am willing to tradeoff some in order for the boat to be more versitile. Out lake is small and calm but I like to take the boat out to large lakes or bays. The flat bottom Mastercrafts will almost break apart, they ride like a brick.

I have never looked at a Vdrives hull in terms of where the prop shaft comes out. I read they are backwards vs inboards.

Orginally posted by sextons

Default vdrive wakes and boats

i also have a 2002 mobius LSV and both my wife and i waterski. (and wakebard now too) the wake is definitely bigger than my previous boat which was a 98 boomerang colosed bow direct drive with hardly any wake at all at 36mph(which is still for sale at $12,000) but i was limited on room in the boat.. now i have room for 10-12 .
    I havent added it yet.. but i heard that a hydraulic wake plate($1000 option) will significantly decrease the size of the wake and at the some time increase the size of the wakeboard wake at slow speeds depending on the position of the wake plate. I am 6'4 and 220 lbs and although my direct drive Boomerang got me up fast and smooth, it could rip my arms off if I gave it full throttle.
    the LSV gets me outa tha water with plenty of power to spare but there is a barely noticable "table" in the middle of the wake. kinda like a bump. I ski at 36mph at 15 off, any closer and you are in the prop wash which i understand the wakeplate gets rid of and smooths out everything.
    So..that said, i would recommend a Vdrive for an all around boat that does both well and you cant go wrong with an LSV.. who knows? you might like wakeboarding at 18-20 mph instead of ripping it up at 36 for a change of pace it's alot of fun.. just watch for the face plants...oh and wear ear plugs...(both skiing and wakebarding)it'll save you form eardrum surgery as a result of slamming into the water ear first at a high rate of speed... trust me on this... first hand experience...
    2002 MOBIUS LSV

Although my Outback is not a V-drive, I can testify to the value of the wake plate for slaloming. At slalom speeds the wakeplate can remove that small table in the wake, and it also allows you to fine tune the wake when you have multiple people in your boat. Definately get the wakeplate when you buy.

Brian

Since you said you were really into doing the slalom thing, I'm assuming the boats you were in were closed bow.

Check out some of the open bow D-drives if you haven't already. I went from a closed bow to open and couldn't believe how much more functional it it. Once I add the hydraulic wake plate and a perfect pass to my new Mobius, it will pretty much be the perfect all around watersport boat in my opinion. Plenty of room, lots of storage. Run it slow, fill the tanks, maybe add some extra ballast and it has a great wakeboard wake. Put the plate down, empty the tanks and run it fast for a very flat slalom wake.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your new boat.

I prefer the slalom to the wakeboarding but also went with the V-drive for the extra seating and versatility. (There is no way my wife was going to let me spend 30k+ without getting her a nice sun deck.) With the wakeplate the slalom is pretty good at 34 and 36, below that and the wake starts to get big. At the higher speeds what wake is there is pretty soft and very passable with an aggressive cut. Although, I do get some funny looks going through a slalom course with a V-drive and a tower!

If you have the jack to blow for a mastercraft you should look at the Tige 20v. Its the only AWSA approved V-drive.
    2006 Outback V