Default Ballast Water Strainer leak

During my dewinterization, I pulled the ballast water strainer off and cleaned it out for the first time. I now have a leak arount the top of the strainer housing thats giving my bilge pump a pretty good workout.

Does anyone know if there should be a gasket or o-ring around the inside of the rim of the strainer housing that I may have lost? I was thinking maybe it stuck to the fitting when I screwed the housing off and then fell off into the bilge area afterward but I don't see anything floating around. I'm afraid to really tighten this thing down any tighter than "hand tight" as it is just hard plastic.

Thanks guys.

there should be a seal in there, if it's missing it will leak

A rubber O-ring TN. I did the same when winterizing and it seems the O-ring is a bit bigger and it doesn-t fit in it place and get stuck between the strainer housing threads, I am looking for a new one today.

Good luck

Mine has a square shouldered gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by VA LSV View Post
    Mine has a square shouldered gasket.
    I have the same one. Always seems to stick to the housing and fall into the bilge. I also found my 9/16 wrench while looking for the gasket during the dewinterization process.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna search my bilge area and hopefully will find it and maybe even some tools. If I'm not able to recover the old one, does anyone know where to get a replacement?

I don't think I've mentioned it lately, so.............

Man, I love this board and my boat. I still get compliments EVERY time I take my '06 LSV out.

Mine is leaking from where the strainer threads onto the rest of the pipes. gotta get some plumbing tape and redo.. caused by removing strainer for winterization...
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Mine didn't have the o-ring there (used boat), so I took it around town to find one. None of the hardware stores had one that fit, but one of the pool stores did. It's from a hottub filter.

I didn't want to deal with ordering one, but I'm sure you can.

This might help with the sealing issue on the o-ring, go to a pool & spa dealer and get a container of Magic Lube. It's a silicon lube just for o-rings used in pool pumps and such. Dab a tiny amount on the o-ring and spread it around, it will help seal and keep the o-ring in place.
    2007 Mobius LSV