Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gators anyone?

Default Gators anyone?

ok so i watch the videos read the mag and follow the forum pretty well but i never hear anything about gators or crocs...im from ohio so obviously i have no issue but thought about making my way to Fl and i was just curious....I know near a noisy motor is the last place a gator would want to be but everyone has got to wait for the rope to get tight and everyone crashes so whats the deal? am i the only one who would find swimming with wildlife that has larger teeth than me uneasy? I don't know how everyone is so cavalier about this and i would be scarred shitless(at least on the inside ). so please if any of you have stories please share
    ________
    Aprilia TX311M
    Last edited by ajmoritz17; 01-22-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Have you seen Innuendo DVD? There is a section filmed here on the Pearl River where I ride. They actually filmed some gators from the Chopper CLOSE to the riders. We have a gator season in Late Aug/Early Sept. I have seen 2 on calm days, but never an issue. I think you are correct in motor noise and traffic deterring! just don't go up in their areas!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Hahahaha, for some of us Louisiana riders a gator is just something else to ollie. I don't recomend falling near one or attempting to rail slide its back, but for the most part they aren't out to get you.
    Gators rarely attack adult humans. Note: I did say rarely. Main thing is, if you see one, don't mess with it. Gators generally see humans as predators not prey.

well ed thats a good question i guess i generally don't see to many trees in my lake.....
    ________
    teen vids
    Last edited by ajmoritz17; 01-22-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Oh Yea, gotta love those gators.

We were doing a photo shoot on Lake Seminole in GA for the local chamber of commerce several years ago. I had just pulled off a dock start on a slalom ski and as I looked back everyone on the dock was screaming at me. THere was a gator under the dock about 2 feet from where I dropped in and as I skied away he trashed and came out from under the dock.

Once out in the water I was never in any danger and we finished the shoot, did a few "around the boats" (no tower) and stayed away from the dock. He eventually swam away and all was back to normal.

It was really not that uncommon to see them on regular occasions, for the most part they are going to leave the area when you start skiing, so it is really not that big of a deal.
    It is better barefoot!

Default Gator story #2

Lake Seminole State Park

We had a large day and a large group, stayed will in to the night, when we went down to the dock to get the boat it was gone. Everyone got out flashlights and car lights and we located the boat it had floated down in the corner of the park and was sitting in the cat tails. There was no other boat to take us out there , and you could not really walk from the shore in that part, so me and another guy started swimming 300-400 yds. Not a big deal.

Once we got closer we were able to walk and push our way through the cat tails. THe park ranger came up and drove down to shine his lights on the boat, and got out with his flashlight, he was joking with us about the gator that stayed on that corner of the park.... at least we thought he was joking (oh yea I was 14 the other guy was 15 this was a long time ago). We were about 15 or 20 feet from the boat when we heard the splash, the warden moved his light and the gator was about 15 or 20 feet from the boat too, we mad a nice triangle. I think my frined covered that last 20 feet in about one second and one step, because he was in the boat before I could move. The gator swam in the other direction, but it was something you never forget!

The jack-ass park ranger tried to write us a ticket because we did not put up the white light on the boat for the 400 yd ride back to the dock as he rode the shore line next to us.

Memory Lane>>nice.........
    It is better barefoot!

I grew up in FL and have skied with many gators about on the lakes. In 38 years, I have never seen a report or actually heard of any skier being bitten/attacked by a gator. It may have happened, but you hear about shark attacks or dogs eaten by gators a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    I grew up in FL and have skied with many gators about on the lakes. In 38 years, I have never seen a report or actually heard of any skier being bitten/attacked by a gator. It may have happened, but you hear about shark attacks or dogs eaten by gators a lot.

I agree, never heard of a gator attacking a skier!
    It is better barefoot!

2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

I Grew up in south Florida and the keys. Swam, snorkled and scuba dove with thousands of sharks and huge barracuda all my life - been all over the world diving with them and they are no big deal. Moved to central Florida in my 20s and before my first ski ride in a lake all I could think about was gators. It is all what you are not knowledgable and comfortable with. They are in every body of fresh water in Florida. Some lakes much more than others (Lk. Jessup in Sanford comes to mind) People avoid those lakes and thus the population grows. Busy lakes and even just busy areas of lakes are going to have fewer gators. Stay away from the shallows and marshy areas, and you will probably never see one.... (they are there, you just won't see them ) I would also say that you want to leave your bait... er.. I mean small dogs at home. Also, if you are deathly afraid - ski when it's cold. Gators avoid colder water more than us natives. And by cold I mean barely chilly to 99% of this board.

Human deaths from Alligator attacks from 1960-2007: 21
    Human deaths from Shark attacks from 1900-2007: 54

Enjoy

-Joe