Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which Perko?

Default which Perko?

I'm discovering that there are a few different Perko switches. Which one is the way to go for two amps and the usual accessories?

I would go with the 1, 2, All, Off version

I went with an automatic relay. No need to fiddle with a switch, or worry about my kids turning it off when the boat is running. Plus it is more efficient than an isolator.

Just something to consider.

I'm in the no perko camp! I had an isolator on the previous boat and no intervention required. They installed a perko on the LSV and i can't stand it, always forgetting to switch between batts. I'm removing it and installing a regular so i don't have to mess with it!
    2007 Mobius LSV

so a regular isolator instead of a perko?

I'd look into relays vs isolators. This is a decent read. There is a ton of other info out there.

I think if you donīt install a switch, you canīt disconnect the batteries...this doesnīt seem too safe.
    I installed what SC recommended, check it please:

http://www.bepmarine.com/Single-Engi...-180-1460.html

And leave it always in " 1 " position when running, you can switch to " 0 " when boat is not on the water, I think is safer, least I do this.
    Last edited by moomba_armada; 05-16-2008 at 02:47 AM.

There are other ways to disconnet the batts, i have a 50amp breaker as well. Push the button on the breaker and the batts are disconnected, flip the lever and they're connected. An iso/reg will charge both when running and disconnet the second batt while parked, that way it never drains the starting battery. A regulator has no amp/volt loss across the batts either. I ran the last boat two years that way without issues and i had a 1200 watt peak system in it. Disclaimer; just my 2 cents!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Also remember that mfgrs recommendations will always err on the side of caution. They ALL recommend a battery disconnect for dual batts. The only exception i know of is Tigé which actually uses an iso/reg type system on their factory dual batt installs.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Yep, isolators and relays do disconnect the batteries when the ignition is off. It's just automatic so you don't have to mess with switches. The wiring is a bit more complex, but no big deal.