Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Snap down cover?

Are most of those snap down covers I see on the boats from the factory installed? What is the cost on one of them from Moomba , and can a fairly handy guy buy one and install himself ? They look alot easier to put on and take off than the travel tarp the boat came with .

After fighting with the towable cover for some months I think I need a snap-on cover cause my boat is at the dock during the summer...thought about it before ordering the boat but...felt pain on my skin only thinking about drilling the snaps holes on the gelcoat..anyway if others do...

factory one's are nice.

but if it were me needing one after the fact, i would have a local canvas shop make it for me and put the snaps on the bottom side of the rub rail. it would look so much nicer than have button snaps that you can't see.

I had aftermarket button cover on mine and the snaps are above the rubrail---everything looks fine but i never even thought about having them put snaps under the rubrail. that would be great because water would have no way of sneaking in. plus you wouldnt step on them!
    ________
    TL125
    Last edited by ajmoritz17; 01-22-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qb12 View Post
    factory one's are nice.

but if it were me needing one after the fact, i would have a local canvas shop make it for me and put the snaps on the bottom side of the rub rail. it would look so much nicer than have button snaps that you can't see.
    anyone have any pictures of an install job like this?
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

Smile

Freyse,

My cover were installed at the mfg or dealer not sure but the cost was $550.00 for the logo cockpit cover and $195.00 for th tonneau cover. I love it, it is so simple. I would be afraid to drill little holes for the cover myself....

I would like to see the idea of snaps below the rub rail, but would have to see it visually for side view appearance. I have always been around boats with the snaps on the deck, i am used to it.

My .02
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

My neighbor had his travel tarp modified by a canvas shop so that it became a snap down cover. However, instead of placing the snaps on the top deck they put the snaps on the underside of the rubrail ridge (as qb12 suggests) so they aren't even noticable unless you're looking for them. He doesn't have any problem snapping the cover on from the boat dock.
    2006 Outback V

Sled491 Guest

I too can't stand the standard Moomba cover. On my lift it is impossible to but it on without getting wet. I'm swithching to the snapon which has the advantage in colder climates due to the Tonua cover for closing off the bow. I will be getting mine done locally by the guy who did my last custom boat cover. It was 9 years old when I traded my boat in and still looked and worked perfectely.

His price was similar to the Moomba price, but I can have whatever color I want.

I have a snap on bow and toneu ( sp?) cover which cost $850 from a local boat canvas guy. I have snaps below the rub rail on my transom only and I find it a pain in the a$$. I could not imagine having them below the rail on the entire boat, although I can see the advantage of more coverage.

Everytime it rains the carpet under the seats in my bow gets soaked.

I wish there was a better solution.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.