Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Impellar

Tazz, it is the Johnson 812 impeller. A lot of people pull the plate and then pull the impeller out leaving the pump on the harmonic balancer. I prefer to pull the entire pump off of the harmonic balancer to inspect the internals. There is a Wear plate on the top side of the pump that sometimes get impeller edges stuck to it, they appear as black line residue and I like to get all of that off so it does not "sand down" my new impeller. I also like to check the play in the bearings. I then use plumbers grease to coat the impeller and inside the housing to help the friction from the first start of the year where everything in there is dry. The first time you pull the pump free of the harmonic balancer is an absolute b!tch. Now I can pull the pump, coat the impeller, reinstall the pump and hoses in about 30 minutes. Get some emery cloth to polish the edge of the pump and inside of the harmonic balancer. This will make the next removal a breeze....hope this helps.

I purchased mine from skidim

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

I also ordered an extra gasket.
    Last edited by JesseC; 05-14-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

my local marina got me one for 26 bucks.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Thanks Jesse,
    I am going to order mine today.

Just ordered mine. I hope it is the right one.
    Last edited by tazz3069; 05-13-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Smile

Jesse,
    I just wanted to say thank you again. I ordered my impellar. I talked to the guys at the marine place and they knew exactly what I needed. I will be here shortly.

Mark
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    The first time you pull the pump free of the harmonic balancer is an absolute b!tch.
    Jesse,

Do you have any tips to offer us to make the first time removal easier? Why is it so hard to get off the first time?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Well I guess that there are two reasons that it is difficult the first time. The first reason being that it is the first time and everything in a V-Drive is upside down, backwards and really hard to get to because you have not done it before. The second reason is that the outer edge of the pump flange (red arrow in photo below) gets rusted to the harmonic balancer. After you remove the pump, use some emery cloth to lightly polish this area as well as the area in the harmonic balancer. Do NOT sand it, just polish with emery cloth or some really fine sand paper. The entire process can be done from the Port side of the engine compartment.

Here are my steps; they may be different on the newer models

1) Remove engine wall separator from Port side
    2) Remove blower to get better access
    3) Remove hoses from pump assembly
    4) Remove the single bolt from the support arm on the bottom (6mm I think)
    5) Remove 3 bolts from Flange to Harmonic Balancer (8mm I think)
    6) Rotate pump to free the bottom post from the support arm
    7) Grab pump and wiggle from side to side while cussing at the devil for not letting it come loose
    Pump frees itself smashes your knuckles into the exhaust and your removal is complete.
    9) Remove cover plate and clean gasket from pump and plate.
    10) Pry out impeller (many methods here, screwdrivers, pullers, Vice Grips, I go the route of Vice grips with thin nose)
    11) Inspect pump and internals
    12) Lube new impeller and housing (I use plumbers grease)
    13) Push impeller into housing while rotating flange
    14) Put gasket and cover back on
    15) Polish pump flange and harmonic balancer with emery cloth
    16) Put the three center bolts back first and tighten in a circular pattern to confirm the flange is flush
    17) Put bottom bolt back into the support arm
    1 Re-attach hoses
    19) Drink a victory beer!!!!
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Thanks Jesse. I am going to tackle this tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Jesse I was reading the instructions on the impellar. I am a bit confused though. I could not find anywere that part about cussing and smashing your knuckles. Are you sure about these important steps? If you say it needs to be done that way then I guess I have to follow directions. HAHAHA LOL Thanks for the steps. I will attack this project this weekend.

Jesse,

I thought I would get a head start and worked on this tonight. I removed the 3 allen bolts holding the pump flange to the harmonic balancer. I removed the allen bolt holding the arm down so the pump is now free to rotate. I've pushed and pulled on the pump and it will NOT budge AT ALL! I even carefully pounded on it with a rubber mallet with no luck. How stout is this thing? How hard can I hit it with the rubber mallet.

I know now what you mean about it being a bitch. I tried some liquid wrench on it and am letting it soak while I type this.

Any ideas?? I don't think this thing will budge if I just wiggle it back and forth because it is not budging AT ALL.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Jesse,

After trying a bit more, I decided to abandon trying to remove the water pump as it was just not buding at all. I discovered that by removing the short piece of the engine access panel towards the rear of the boat, the part that doesn't fold down, I was able get good access to the water pump cover and see the impeller really well. I removed the hoses, sprayed silicon lubricant that I had laying around onto the impeller, and briefly spin the engine. I was then able to easily remove the impeller using needle nose vise grips like you did.

Impeller was in perfect shape so I will keep it on board as a spare.

Thanks again for the help.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV