Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impellar

Unhappy Impellar

So it has FINALLY warmed up to get the boat out! Flushed the engine hooked up every thing from the winterization. Checked all the fluids! Jumped in to change the impellar. No worries here 20 min old one out and new one installed. Droped a couple screws and the cover. However, I am missing 80% of one of the veins on the old impellar. Took off several hoses can not find it. will this get chewed up and go on through or lodge some where, or is there a screen where it will get caught and I can get it? This was my first impellar change on an 2007 lsv with 76 hours on it?

Hey I had the same prb with my 2002 malibu. The impeller was chewed up in mine too, and the dealer told me that they would not hurt the water pump and would be blowed out the exhaust....So I just replaced mine and it is ok....

That is the reason that I replace mine every year! Some times they come out looking perfect, some times the come out missing an ear. The one from last season looked dry rotted when I took it out and it was really stuck to the impellar housing! I would imagine that your engine just processed it and passed it through the exhaust. I would just watch the temp gauge and check the line that feed into the exhaust manifold.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I burnt up my impellar in shallow water a year ago. Changed it myself and asked the dealer if I needed to worry about the finding the pieces. I got the same reply of don't worry about it. However, when I winterized last year and took hoses off I found all the pieces. Mine is an 05 V-drive. If you have the same, follow the hoses from the impellar back towards the front of the boat. It will be on the left side of the v mounted engine if you are facing the back of the boat. The hose hits what I think is called the transmission cooler????. The hose connects to a metal piece that has a screen in it. Mine had the rubber impellar pieces stuck in much of that screen. I ran it all of last year without any problems or high temps, but feel better now that I have found the pieces.

Curious what trick you used to get the impellar out? Given the position on the v-drive I had a hard time getting it out. Since I knew it was already damaged, I got it out with a screwdriver. I would like to inspect mine this year but I need to come up with an easier way to pluck it out.

Thanx guys I will check at the trans cooler, I was figuring it should be okay but never know!

SilverSki, I layed accross the the rear hatch with the engine compartment open, nut driver to loosen and drop the srews, Squirted it up with wd-40 and let sit while I cleaned the cover plate and gasket off(7-8 minutes) , Bumped (not started ) the engine 4-5 times and it almost fell out! just a light pull with fingers!

Is it all that hard to change out the impeller. I think that I should chage mine out before I hit the water.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Jesse i believe recommended removing the waterpump assembly on the flywheel to make removing the impeller easier. I removed all the bolts/screws but the pump was kinda heat sealed to the flywheel..BUT, I did realize that by having it unbolted, it would spin so I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grip the impeller and rocked the housing and it popped out... one of those jobs that the first time takes an hour, the next time will take 15 minutes.
    Tazz, you can doo it!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I guess if I can rewire my boat, I can change the impellor. I hope it is alot easier than an outboard motor. I had to drop the entire lower end to change the impellar. What a pain in the A$%. It was not light by any means. Who can I order an imellar from?
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings

You want to get those pieces out. The water jackets in the exhaust manifold are not big enough to let large pieces pass through, restricting water flow. Most of them should be found @ the intake side of the trans cooler...
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Does anyone know where I can get the impeller? I found one at Overtons.com. I am not sure if that is the one I need. Does anyone know the part number? I have the 5.7 Indmar.