Hybrid View

Question Replacing Shaft Packing?

Hey guys, my shaft started to leak something fierce, filling up and engaging the auto bilge every 8 minutes... we tried tightening the packing nut and lock nut, and we got it to stop dripping.

Running to boat over to the dock (5 minutes most) and it was dripping worse then before and didn't slow down even after stopping the boat.

I am looking at replacing the packing in the nut, but I am not to tech savvy and I have no real access to these boards up at the lake.

Should i get this handled professionally, or is it really ridiculously simple and a waste of my money to get a marina to do it?

Does anyone have photos of the procedure and a view from the rear of the nut?

I know this has been covered before, but I really need it laid out in some detail if I am going to attempt it up at the lake.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

Here is a shot of the shaft, you can see how much it has loosened off the lock nut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

Spyder..
    I took on that project yesterday... Pretty simple.. but challenging.. HA.. Getting in to the area is hardest part...

Remove the Front/bigger nut.. You'll need some type of Pick to reach back inside the nut to get the old packing out.. I had a pigtail barbecue turner. it kinda worked.. This is easier on a Direct Drive as you can see what you are doing!

Once you get the old pieces out, you cut your pieces in lengths just shy of the diameter of the shaft... then roll them back in.. I upgraded to the Gore Tex packing.. it is more difficult to push in.. I still need to go back in and mess with mine more before going out.

www.SkiDim.com or www.elberts.com are great places for parts. Both are very accessible on the phone and can provide tech service.

Moomba's use 1/4" packing rope. I'd probably go with the waxed instead of gore tex.

Once you pack 2-3 pieces back in, you'll tighten the big nut down and then back tighten the lock nut to it. You'll probably have to tighten a time or two after running to get it adjusted where it does not drip right...

PM or email if you have further questions.
    BW
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I just order the gore-tex one, but I don't think it will make it to Canada before this upcoming long weekend, so I may be forced to bring it in to a shop :/

I would of liked to try this project on :/
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

Not sure who you ordered from, but Call SkiDim tomorrow and see if they can ship you some waxed out same day with global priority. I placed my order online with them and they called 1 hr later to say if I was not in a hurry that US Mail would be much cheaper than UPS so they saved me $5! Great folks.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I ordered from Skidim, I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV