Default New Tower Mounting Question

All,

I'm about to buy a new tower, been considering it for months. I have the 2001 OB LS (direct drive). Some of the new aftermarket towers they have out are really swept back and the rear mounts would go behind the ski pylon. My question is this: is there any rule of thumb or distance behind the center ski pylon that the side rear tower bases can be mounted without interfering with slalom skiing? We're not super skiers but do run the course at 15 off occasionally.

If anyone knows the answer to this question, it would be appreciated. Obviously, we're not normally directly to the side of the boat, so I'm sure it can be some distance behind the ski pylon, just don't have any idea if it is 3 inches or a foot and a half. Thanks.

volfo,

What towers are you considering? Have you been to monstertower.com? You can go to their Customer Photos Section, then to Moomba, and see their towers mounted on a variety of Moombas, including several Outbacks. I think that seeing these photos might answer your question.

I bought and installed a monster tower on a previous I/O and was very pleased with it.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

My first choice is the new monster tower mt2. It's a bit higher and more curved than the original monster tower, it has a wider stance by a foot or two, and they don't have any customer install pictures of the new one yet. All of their stock photos are on v-drives. I think it would be fine, but I'd hate to get it on and find that when I cut way out to the side slalom skiing, the rear tower leg interferes with the rope.

I'm also considering the new dimension that either is, or is a copy of, the factory tower for the boat. But I like the monster tower MT2 better and would prefer to get it.

volfo,

I assume that you would want to mount the tower such that the rope swivel is directly above the location of your ski pylon. Then mount the rear legs such that they are even with the ski pylon also so that everything is on one plane. So the only way the rope would hit the tower while skiing is if you were directly to the side of the pylon.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV