Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pressure???

Default Oil Pressure???

I changed the oil for the first time myself, and finally got the level right (I did the whole drain it completely and then put in 1 gallon like the Indmar guy suggested...it ended up being too much so I had to pump some out). Anyway, on the first trip out, the oil pressure was almost 60. In my memory, last couple of years it was running 45 or so. I used Rotella instead of Penzoil, although its still 15W-40...could this cause the difference, and should I be worried?

Don't take this the wrong way but i always question why some guys insist on running diesel oil in all their non-diesel vehicles. Just because it's cheap or works in your diesel doesn't make it right for all applications. Rotella was and is designated as a diesel oil, multi grade or not and not even Shell recommends it out of context. If it had all of the API ratings of regular motor oil as specified by the marine mfgrs then they would recommend it, but they don't.

As an example a few ago the mfgrs of aftermarket Harley motors started specifying that the use of Rotella would void any engine warrenties as it was becoming increasingly popular for some to use it in their motors and they prematurely failed due to the fact that the API rating were different as were the viscosity ratings. Too high of oil pressure can also cause seals to prematurely fail as well. So to answer your question as the viscosity properties are probably different than regular motor oils, yes it could be the cause and i wouldn't do it, but that's just my opinion and two cents worth.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thanks for the reply. I guess I used Rotella based on the responses I read here on 'oil change' threads, the fact that the criteria fit the 'or another oil that has the specifications blah blah blah', and that I can buy Rotella locally without driving all over creation looking for Penzoil Marine. I am a chemist, so I assumed, maybe mistakenly, that a 15W-40 oil with the same specifications would have similar/same properties, including the pressure that it would run at under load...because manufacturers can't sit around all day and list every single oil that would work. I guess I'm not a big believer in 'brand names', and I extended this to my oil change. Hopefully it doesn't turn around and bite me in the @$$.

Helix, you really don't have to use the Penzoil specifically. My dealer uses Mercruiser Marine oil. I used Mobil1 in my last boat without any issues at all and it actually ran quieter, smoother and cooler it seemed. I'm just not a big fan of Rotella in a non-diesel application. You may be able to use it fine but like i said i do know and have heard instances where it definately wasn't the right oil for the application.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I just did my first oil change on my lsv last week...b4 i bought oil i called skiers choice and talked to one of there guys he told me to buy penn. 15w40 he said if it says diesel on it (it does) don't worry its the same thing.. what makes me a little nervous is i couldnt find a penn. pz3 filter so i bought what is supposed to be a match but its about a .5-1" shorter than the penn... filter.
    ________
    launch box vaporizer
    Last edited by ajmoritz17; 01-22-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Any oil that meets the SJI specs for your engine is fine. Indmar has an oil supplier, Penzoil, so they have a sticker that says use that brand oil. If you do regular oil changes as per the manual and use the right visocity oil, then your engine will be fine. Most problems occur by not doing any maintenance at all. Oil pressure under load should be around 60, and at idle it should be in the low 40s. Every guage will read slightly different, but those numbers are ballpark for a GM 5.7L.
    I can't think of any oils that Walmart or Parts shops (Autozone, Pep Boyz, etc.) sell that will void your warranty or cause your engine problems. Proper level is assumed. There are so many opinions about oils, opinions don't make any difference to your engine.

I wouldn't worry about the filter as long as your using a quality one. The real issue with filters is what you can't see, total filtered area and the filter media itself. Check the links below for some good filter info. Turns out that the Penzoil filter is nothing more than a re-badged Fram! I know i won't be using that one!

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar....html?8dcb0500

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar.../opinions.html
    2007 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

Funny, if you buy Amsoil 15w40 on the jug it calls it a diesel/marine oil. FOr whatever reason fresh oil always runs at higher PSI, then after some use you will notice the PSI drop to what you consider normal.

Thanks for the info guys. Everything seems to be working fine, but you've reduced my stress levels Get on the water...it is warming up!

Default oil change

I have not changed my oil yet, but plan too this season. I do change my oil in my Tahoe and my wife's Silverado, and I have a question about removing the filter on the boat motor.

How do you keep the oil from spilling into the bilge ?

When I remove the filter from the truck engine, I put a bucket under it to catch the oil, but there is no room in the boat. I thought about a bag or something but fear the tempearture of the oil might melt the bag.
    It is better barefoot!