Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Pressure???

Sled491 Guest

I wrap the filter with a rag as I'm spinning it off. I also lay some rags and paper towels in the bilge to catch any oil that does get buy, but as every one knows I have one of those easy to work on DD's. Low Tech but works

Cool

bama,

I don't change the oil in my Moomba..............I let the dealer take care of it. But in my pre_Moomba days I used to change the oil in my boats. The best way I found to keep the oil filter from dripping into the bilge was to double or triple layer plastic shopping bags and have someone help hold them around the filter as I loosened it. It works nice and you won't have an oil slick when your bilge pump kicks on.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

Even Larry (aka EngineNut from Indmar) says Rotella is just fine.
    I put a zip lok bag around my oil filter as I spin it off. Very minimal spillage
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I put a sherbet (2 qt?) ice cream bucket under the filter last time. It went in easy and came out the front easy on the DD. Love Buttafew's idea about the freezer bag. Course I'm not as smart as he is-- but then who is?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Break the filter loose so you can spin it by hand. Then put one of the large ziplock freezer bags over it. The bags are fairly thick so you don't have to worry as much about tearing it. When the filter comes off, zip it up so you don't have to worry about any spills while removing it from the boat.

Butta! great idea, ( zip lock) thanks, keep me from trashing so many towels...

Bama....

I use an old "dry bag" from my canoe days. They are a lot stronger than a zip lock regarding oil temperature, and allow me to take off the filter without the oil mess in my bilge. I picked up an extra one at a garage sale the other day. Typically made of strong vinyl with threads so allows for much higher temperatures with no stress of having it melt. Hope this helps.

Last weekend I used the zip lock bag method and found it to work rather well. I was disappointed in the torque settings that they used at the factory on the stock oil filter. I wound up crushing the oil filter in order to get enough grip to get it off. I took about 15 mins for the the oil to drain, replace the filter, and add the oil.