Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fix for replacing swim platform rubber

I know many have commented on the 'PITA" process involved in replacing the swim platform rubber. I finally went at it this weekend and discovered something I'd pass on to others. As mentioned in many previous posts, the rubber pulls off quite nicely in 3 huge pieces (L, middle, and R of the platform). There is a nasty residue left behind though. I tried gas...didn't work well, heat gun and scraper...too much effort. I then scrounged in my garage and tried something called 'Goo Gone'. I think I got it at Ace a few years ago. I squirted a little of that on the goo...waited 1 minute, and then used a putty knife and the glue just wiped off like butter. It took me like 10 minutes to do the entire platform...then I washed thoroughly with soap/water, let dry in the sun, then put the new pads on and now I have a brand new, hopefully stain-free, swim platform.

Now i am motivated to go at it (did not want to screw with removing the residue before). What did you use to replace the rubber and where did you get it?

Talk to Bill at Airjunky.com. Stuff works great.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

How old is your boat?

Did you replace the rubber becasue it looked bad or was worn out?

THis weekend we noticed that some people created black footprints on the sunpad when the stepped off the platform. My boat is an 07 and I hope the rubber pads last longer than a year! They look fine but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if there is something I need to be doing to keep this from happening.
    It is better barefoot!

I think there was a discussion about the black marks earlier this year. You can probably run a search on "platform" and "black" or something and find it. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I switched to Gator Grip and love it. Much nicer.

I also put Gator Grip on and love it.
    Lake Bound
    2002 Moomba Outback LS
    Indmar, Carb

Do you have to remove the original black rubber first? Seems like the gator grip or other adhesive mats could go right on top of existing rubber without the removal hassle? Thoughts?

Yeah id remove the old stuff first. Its really super easy the factory stuff just tears right off then use goo be gone and a puddy knife, let the goo be gone sit for a minute or so the scrape away. You'll be surprised how quick the remaining adheasive will come off.

My boat is an '05, so it has 3 summers on it now...the black started to come off on our feet because it is 'rubber' and degraded because my boat sits outside. I put a coat of 'shellac' of some sort on last year to protect it...worked great but made it kinda slippery. So this year I got some new pads (look at other threads for non-Moomba brands, I got mine from Moomba and supposedly these won't run). I'm following smokedog's advice and using 303 on them just for good UV protection. But yes, replacing is quick and easy using Goo Gone, I would definitely NOT slap it on top of the old mats on my boat.