Default Was I sold The Wrong Board?

I recently purchased a Hyperlite Bradcast and was told that it was the right size for me. I am 6' and 200 pounds. I am new to surfing and cannot surf with out dropping the rope but figured it is my boat setup. (xvl GG w/ Stock ballast). I will be upgrading the ballast to the 750's in the rear. Well I measured my board and it is 4' 9" long which i believe is for people that weigh 180 pounds or less. Question is, will i ever be able to drop the rope with this board with the right setup or should I get a bigger board?

No worries Brad! I am 6'2" and 200 lbs and surfed all last year on that exact board. I recently purchased a new Walker Project F-18 that is the same length 4'9" because I love that size. Yes, it would be easier to drop the rope on a bigger board but pretty soon you may get bored and wish you had a smaller board to start carving it up. I've ridden the next length up Broadcast (5'6") and it feels like more of a cruising board. I personally think that 4'9" board is great size to learn on. I'm your size and went from holding the rope to doing 360's in a year. I'm 30 and not exactly the young athlete I used to be either.

I have a 07 Mobius LS and am able to get plenty of curl. I've never seen the XLV but I imagine you should be able to get more than enough curl with that girl. Make sure you get your boat to 'list' (on a tilt) towards the side you are surfing. Put the people in your boat on your surfing side and/or weight that side more with sacs. Maybe try moving some weight towards the bow (like behind the driver or front passenger seats). That should make your pocket longer. Again, I say that based on other V-drive boats I have been on. My DD is much different to weight.

Let us know how it comes along. Good luck!

Ed responded at the same time I did so I didn't see it before I posted mine.

I agree that you would love a 'higher end' board more than the Broadcasts. I love my F-18 and I like the look of the IS boards. They ride completely different because they are so thick and boyant. More like an ocean surf board. The Broadcasts ride more like a wakeboard without bindings. Like Ed said it is a great started board.

My advice is to not run out and buy another longer broadcast. You will be able to learn on that 4'9" and then if like it....spend the money on one of the higher end boards!

Quote Originally Posted by bradcraig78 View Post
    I recently purchased a Hyperlite Bradcast and was told that it was the right size for me. I am 6' and 200 pounds. I am new to surfing and cannot surf with out dropping the rope but figured it is my boat setup. (xvl GG w/ Stock ballast). I will be upgrading the ballast to the 750's in the rear. Well I measured my board and it is 4' 9" long which i believe is for people that weigh 180 pounds or less. Question is, will i ever be able to drop the rope with this board with the right setup or should I get a bigger board?
    I weigh 260lbs and I ride the 6'6" Shoreline Lakeboard. Great beginer bpoard for your weight I would go with the 5'6".
    Also you will need more than just the 750's in the rear to get a good wave from your XLV. I surf goofy so I put a 1,000 pounder in the compartment behind the drivers seat. I also fill the center ballast. Make sure your wake plate is all the way up. Good luck.