Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prop and Fin Clearance?

Does anyone know the clearance for prop and fins for the 07 OBV. I need to set my bunk heights on my hoist this weekend before it goes in the water. The boatmate trailers have a cut out which my hoist does not, so i certainly want to ensure proper clearance as to not damage them on.

would this be the draft depth in the specs ie 24". This is where i need the technical help from you engineers. I am just a numbers guy.

Thanks.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thats what I always thought draft was....
    ________
    Kawasaki ZR1000A
    Last edited by ajmoritz17; 01-22-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Yep, draft is when yer arse is gonna drag bottom. 24" sound bout right
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

the best way to figure this is measure down from your trailer bunks
    to the lowest point fin or drive shaft that will cross you horizontal section of your lift. also take into account if you have your lift tilted back slightly or level. i have been about 8 inches lower in the back to accomodate
    our low water levels when they drop our levels. my shorestation bunks
    are about 3/4 of an inch to low for my fins to clear if they drop our water levels we are kind of the red headed step children on the lower river here.

Chris

Sled491 Guest

Draft is one thing, the clearance for you lift is another. I set my bunks as absolutely low as possible due to low water in front of my place. I initially set the bottom of my bunks 12 inches above the bottom cross beam of my lift. I later after some inspection and so on was able to lower them to 9 inches. Your boat has a 24 inch draft which is how far down the 1st cross bar your fins will encounter will need to be + some extra below the surface of the water.

Hope this helps

So 24 " is clearly too much. The lift will be in about 3.5 ft of water . I was nervous that i would have a water height problem at 2 ft over the cross beam. I don't have the boat yet but want to get the lift in ahead of time. Maybe I will just have to wait and measure the distance in two weeks.

sled wrote
    Your boat has a 24 inch draft which is how far down the 1st cross bar your fins will encounter will need to be + some extra below the surface of the water.

I still dont get it ,
    i guess i can try 12"-18" for height adjustment, we can get some decent wave action on th lake.

Thanks

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

if you're gonna float the boat onto and off of the bunks, you'll need to consider that said bunks are contacting the bottom of the boat, so from that position for clearance?
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

B,

Yes I get that .I just need to know that depth. If anyone could measure for me that would be appreciated ( clearance of the prop from the bottom of the boat). Or another measurement i could use is from the bunks on the trailer to the bottom of the cut out for the prop.

I wanted to finish my lift before i get the boat next week and the manual does not have this number.

Sled has his down to 9-12" , but i would hate to ding the fin or prop on my first trip from the launch that could get costly.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I've got doubled-up 2x12s for my "bunks" on my lift - with a slight angle sawed out of them. These work fine.

24 inches is the amount of draft you need - but this is by no means close to how much room you need from where the bunks rest to the end of the prop/fins. Where the bunks would rest is under water from the draft line. I agree with sled that 9 inches should be enough, 12 inches is plenty.

Just be careful when the lake level drops - you are still losing however many inches thick your crossbeams are - meaning if your crossbeams are 3 inches thick, then you need 27 inches of water to clear them.

BTW (fine print) - I don't have to worry about my prop, only the fins...

Scoot thanks as well as the rest of the board, I think I got it through my thick head. LOL

I think I finally got it I was thinking I need 24" inches "the draft" from the bottom of the cross beams to the bunks. But as I can see the arms for the bunks are not even 24" tall I will start with the 12 inches and go from there. and take in to consideration the cross beam height for the level of the water.

jmv

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold