Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Break-in period is killing me...

I know it is necessary but It is killing me to not "get on it" and not play with the ballast. Luckily the water is cold so I am not ready to get in. We are at 5 hrs and I need to get it broken-in over the next couple of weeks and the weather is not cooperating. Oh well enough whining.....

My dealer said 5 hours was more than enogh for the break-in period. You should be fine.

At least you guys are on the water! I've got a month and a half, plus 5-10 hours before I can get behind my boat!

If it is really killing you, do some searches on this site about break in periods. You will get mixed reviews, but in my experience, I was behind my Outback after 4 hours and my supra within the first 2 hours.

I have heard from engine guys locally, that these boats are rigorously tested before shipping to a dealer. To me rigorously by them is more load that I put on an engine. Another anonymous quote to me was that the breakin period is to "train" first time inboard owners on the nuances of driving and inboard.

I am in no way a professional engine guy. I have had no problems with either of my Indmars. The 07 outback had 160 hrs when I sold it, and my new supra has 50 hrs with no issues.

Hope this helps.
    -Jay
    2008 Supra 21V

It is too cold to get in the water in Texas? I was in the water in Illinois 2 weeks ago with no wetsuit.

Ok, I cheated and went to a heated lake. But still, it's Texas. Can't you boat in January?

Yea, sounds a little wimpy, I'm waiting for 70deg. water. I expect to buy a wetsuit to extend the season.

I am with you on this issue, I have my beautiful new boat and the weather will not cooperate with me! I have about the same number of hours myself, but I am using the breakin time to become familiar with all the tricks to driving these boats and teaching my wife and girls to drive also..
    2008 Mobius LS

Treat others the way you want to be treated!

Hey McMoomba the water feels great in Dallas. Been in the last two weeks.

I was a wimp and followed the breakin to the T. Keep in mind my last boat over heated and filled the canyon with smoke. I spend the next few months fixing all the problems associated with an over heated motor.

Call me crazy but I took the time to break my motor in. I can also change an impeller in record time! Live and Learn.

Dude, the Dallas/FT Worth lakes are ready to go! I've been riding every weekend since beginning of February. Last weekend, trunked it for first time and my legs, feet, balls survived with plenty of comforts....

You should be fine and start riding now... I start loading up the ballast and rode immediately right after 5 hours of break-in. WSBD told me 5 hours are enough.