Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I spent all last summer on a 23' Yamaha SX230; its a great all around boat, but quite a bit larger than anything in the Moomba line-up. The overall quality seemed to be decent, 2 of my buddies actually bought the same exact boat, and both had the same problems; trim around storage compartment fell off within the first week of ownership, cracks in the gel coat around the windshield, etc.

The nice thing about jet boats (compared to inboards) is that you don't have to worry about bashing your prop in to things, however you do have to be careful of what you suck up: we sucked a rope into the impeller, and let me tell you that was a fun task to repair in the middle of the lake. The freeboard on the Yamaha a lot more than the Moomba too from what I remember, which might be better for kids.

The Moomba interiors blow Yamaha out of the water, in my opinion. I wakeboarded and tubed behind the Yamaha, it wasn't terrible, but if your looking to do any sort of jumping or anything I think you will be very disappointed. Both are great all around boats, I'd go with the Moomba (and did, just ordered my boat last month). The resale value, the overall build quality, the interiors, the unique-ness, and the wake are all going to be much better. All Yamaha's look the same; with Moomba you can special order exactly what you want, and personalize it.

RESALE VALUE:
    DO this... write down the price of each new now.
    Look up a used 2007 value, a 2006 value, etc..

Compare them. The yamaha will fall at a much greater rate, than any Inboard ski/wake boat. I have had a couple of SeaDoo's and if you buy one new, you lose a ton the first year! trust me.

I have had an Outback and now an LSV. Love them both. Look at the Outback V as Well. Great boat too.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Sled491 Guest

I'm with everyone about the resale. I would also have a difficuult time trying to do an honest comparrison of 2 boats that are about as similar as a house cat and a leopard. Sure the both feline but that's where the similarities basically end.

Join the Inboard clan and you will be in a great club with more rewards than drawbacks. I have a friend with a Yamaha boat. He seems to enjoy it, but always rants about upgrading to a ski boat. I don't hear too many ski boat owners ranting about how they can't wait to sell there boat and get a Jet boat

If your still reading these posts take that for what it's worth

Thanks guys! Very very good stuff!

The LSV seems to be deep enough to keep the kiddies in boat. Is there a way to add a table in this boat? I see the Malibu's (sorry if thats a swear word here!) have a table mount in the rear..Id think that would just about seal it for momma!

Sled...Im in Grafton, wi...where did you buy your boat?

Sled491 Guest

Really,

I bought my boat from Lauderdale lakes marine. Dealt with Brian the sales manager. Send me a PM and I'll give you my name to through around at the dealer. Great guys, in fact I just picked up my boat from winter storage from them on friday.

Our summer house is on Lower Nembahbin, but we live near Tichigan and the Fox river.

Is there a way to add a table in this boat? I see the Malibu's (sorry if thats a swear word here!) have a table mount in the rear..Id think that would just about seal it for momma!
    we looked at the table mounts also. a table is very useful to have when floating, lunching, etc. i think the table attachment you saw, the side bracket attached to the seat support fiberglass, would put a huge stress on the attachment point.

think about this, you get up to grab another bit of cheese, a beer, lotion to rub on momma, a huge set of rollers come in from nowhere, you (not momma or one of the kids) grab the table for your balance, only to crash to the floor as the bracket pulls out of the boat and you have to pay to clean the carpet, redo the fiberglass, you probably spilled your beer, etc. and BTW, that fancy malibu table attachment just cost you $20k extra.

we use a plastic top folding TV tray, the kind you can store under the sofa, or in any of the numerous storage locations on the moomba. it costs about $20.00, you know it will only hold the stuff you put on it, you won't be tempted to grab it when the rollers come. if you do grab it and it collapses, it was only a $20 table and $10 of food, you probably saved your beer.

if you really want the side mount table, i am sure west marine, overtons, etc may have something similar. i wouldn't buy a boat based on the table option.

Stop being so formal.

Go buy a vinyl picnic table cover (white and red cheks @ Wallyworld), and one of the extra large beach towels (Target) Lay them down on top of each other in the back of the LSV and have a picnic. Kids love the idea of eating on the floor. Spills do not get to the carpet, roll it up, shake it out, then store it when done - takes up no room at all.

-J

Sled491 Guest

I may be way off here, and obviously this doesn't work in my Outback, but why not use an RV style tabel and base. Some of them are flush and have a quick lock. The post and table come apart for easy storage, and they are very inexpensive at some RV whole sale stores

Quote Originally Posted by sled491
    I may be way off here, and obviously this doesn't work in my Outback, but why not use an RV style tabel and base. Some of them are flush and have a quick lock. The post and table come apart for easy storage, and they are very inexpensive at some RV whole sale stores
    That is basically what the table in the Yamaha is like. I can't speak for the Malibu, as I've never seen it.

Or you could just but a Direct Drive boat, then you've always got a "table" right in the middle of the boat, no need to worry about storing it!

2thdoc01,

I too have thought it would be nice if the Moomba's came with a table, but these are some of the things that are cut out to keep the price low. If you can find a recessed, floor mount table base, you should be able to have it installed, assuming there is room under the floor for it. The floor on the LSV is aluminum and comes up in two rectangular pieces so it should not be too hard to remove it and see.

What we did one time is to slide the rear bench towards the front (it's moveable on the LSV), put a towel on it, and used it as a picnic table. The V-drive cover (a rectangular box that is under the rear seat) served as the perfect bench for our two little ones.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV