Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 08 Mobius LSV or Yamaha 212x?

New on here....

Looking for a family boat, that is comfy for cruising, doesnt mind some small to mid ht chop, easy to drive, fun to just relax on, and wont break the bank.

I have 3 kids...9.5, 8, 5 and they will be learning to ski, board, etc. They love to tube.

I need a boat that doesnt suck gas too bad, is about 21 feet, has enough juice to pull a few tubes, and is safe for the kids to be around and in.

Looked at both yesterday, and seemed the Yamaha was better for cruising and hanging out. Looks like its a bit less money also. I am concerned about the jet wash in the wake..not that I need a pro wake..and the size of it. It looks to be a bit deeper than the moomba LSV and maybe the sides are taller too...

What should an LSV with tower, Bimini and trailer run me with the base engine?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ed,

Thanks for the reply, but why? How nice are the new LSVs for just sitting around and entertaining while kids swim? Just curious if the upholstery is padded enough and the seat ht is such that it wont be difficult for older folks to get out of their seats...the Outback seating was waaaaay too low.

Is there a way to add a table to these boats?

Do they handle rougher water decent enough that I wont have kids crapping themselves if I have to cross the lake and there is a bunch of chop?

I just recall riding in my bro in laws mastercraft and it was like getting slapped in the ass.
    KK

Default Re: 08 Mobius LSV or Yamaha 212x?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thdoc01
    New on here....

Looking for a family boat, that is comfy for cruising, doesnt mind some small to mid ht chop, easy to drive, fun to just relax on, and wont break the bank.

I have 3 kids...9.5, 8, 5 and they will be learning to ski, board, etc. They love to tube.

I need a boat that doesnt suck gas too bad, is about 21 feet, has enough juice to pull a few tubes, and is safe for the kids to be around and in.

Looked at both yesterday, and seemed the Yamaha was better for cruising and hanging out. Looks like its a bit less money also. I am concerned about the jet wash in the wake..not that I need a pro wake..and the size of it. It looks to be a bit deeper than the moomba LSV and maybe the sides are taller too...

What should an LSV with tower, Bimini and trailer run me with the base engine?

Any advice is appreciated.
    doc, you have got to be kidding... trust me the handling of a "true inboard" is second to none. futhermore the resale is a major issue. those piece of crap jet boats just suck

LMAO.....can't hep it....that boys' a hoot!

B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

LOL,

I know they handle well, but my main concern is how they fare for the comfort part...you cant board and ski ALL day....at least not me, im too old for that.

Jeez, the Yamaha jet boat guys were pretty positive about the Moomba....

go with the LSV. otherwise you will be back to it in a couple years.

i grew up with stern drives, had my own til i made the step this year to the LSV.

we have 4 kids, 13, 11, 9, 3. we are very happy with the free board depth. today on the lake, the wind came up and we had 2' swells. all felt very safe. nothing came over the bow,

another great thing is the fact that that you can have another family your size on the boat. we have been out with friends on the boat, 4 adults, 7 children. no problem for space. no problem for riding either. with the load of people (i know they weren't all big) and the gravity 3 loaded, the boat came out fine.

as for a table, we took the advise of a great dealer and we have a couple collapsible TV trays that we stow for use. (2 tables $40, stubbing your toe on the table post hole? $$$ ruined the rest of the day riding for sure)

of course you are asking the moomba board. we are all very humble about our rides and none are overtly dogmatic regarding our preferences (there are even a few threads about some silly bow ties and ovals. i guess i am animal lover, i like horns)

i would bet that you could even find someone around you that would take you for a ride and experience things differnt than the dealer demo.

The 50 gallon tank should clue you in on breaking the bank. Jet pumps are cheap but very inefficent. Only practical place for a jet pump is in shallow water. I'm not crazy about driving a power boat without a rudder either. Pick a propeller driven boat over a jet pump. A friend has an aluminum river boat with a pump and he talks about having to go underneath and pull weeds out of the intake and it isn't an easy chore and happens often and the rivers here are really clean except around the boat launches.

2thdoc01,

I have a 2006 Moomba LSV. Before that, I had a 20' stern drive. I briefly contemplated the Yamaha before buying the Moomba but lost interest when I read that the Yamaha does not have much of a wake. The jet drives suck the fuel too, I'm told.

Each type of boat has it's upsides and downsides. Depends on what your priorities are. For the same size boat, a stern drive is generally less expensive, and you can get one with a small 5.0 liter V8 or even a V6 so it's more economical to operate. They generally have a deeper V which translates into higher freeboard and a better ride in rough water. On the downside, it doesn't plane very well at slow speeds which is where your younger ones will want to be towed when they start skiing and boarding. I remember on my stern drive, I was either on plane at a minimum of about 22 mph, or I would fall off plane and be going 13 - it was a constant struggle to maintain a speed in the mid to high teens. For cruising and tubing and big water, the stern drive is the better choice, in my opinion.

A V-drive wakeboard boat, on the other hand, has a larger base engine (5.7L v so it burns a bit more gas than a stern drive. The wakeboat also has a shallower V which means it planes out at a much lower speed so your little ones can learn to ski and wakeboard at a comfortable speed. The shallower V also means less freeboard and a rougher ride in big water. Wakeboard boats can be ordered with a built in ballast system for creating larger wakes for wakeboarding and surfing and Perfect Pass for automatic speed control, both of which are not available on most stern drives. You can surf behind a wakeboat whereas you cannot behind a stern drive. Wakeboats (and other fixed prop boats) are harder to steer at slow speeds and will only reverse in one direction.

I can't speak for the jet drive boats as I did not look into them very far and have never ridden on one.

So again, it's a matter of priorities. The LSV is the perfect boat for us (me, wife, 11 yeard old son and 4 year old daughter). We wakeboard, surf, tube and occassionally pull a skier and the LSV can do it all. It's also rated to hold 13 people so we can bring lots of friends is we want, has a nice wrap around lounge, and plenty of storage space.

A new 2008 Mobius LSV with tower and trailer will set you back at least in the low 40's and probably close to mid 40's.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

You can't really expect people on the moomba board to suggest you buy a jet boat can you? We are as close to a cult as it gets, look around! I am glad the yamaha guys told you the truth and spoke favorably of the moomba,were just telling you what we have experienced.

I have been on the water for over 25 years, I have skied, outboards, inboards, sterndrives, jetboats, jetskis, vdrives, you name I have probably skied behind it or taken it for a ride. I can tell you there is nothing in the world that pulls, or drives like an inboard, and for the money Moomba is the best value on the market!

You say you want comfort for the family, well I am sure you can find a comfortable yamaha and a comfortable moomba, so you really only have a performance decison.

When you are anchored it will not matter if you are in a moomba or a yamaha because you picked a comfortable boat, but when your kid is 13 and wants to pop that wakeboard off a real wake it will make a hell of a difference which boat you are in.

Find a moomba that you can be comfortable in and fits your price range, there are tons of good used moombas out there, you don't have to buy new.

Then you can join the clan, I mean cult.
    It is better barefoot!

Remember, if there is NO water passing through the jet pump, there is NO way to steer the boat. So, if you let off the gas or throttle in order to avoid running into an object, you have just insured the fact that YOU WILL RUN INTO THAT OBJECT because you can NO LONGER STEER!