Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5.7 Engine with Carb

I know this is an old topic, but has anyone had so much trouble with the Holly and finally went to another carb? I have a 2003 Outback. Just looking for options.

Well to make a long story short........

I had alot of fuel/carb issues with my boat when I bought it due to it sitting alot and not being used.

I got most of it all figured out and still need to do a little bit of adjustments once I get her out of storage in the next week.

As far as the carb goes I ended up rebuilding all of it and spent a good deal of time checking everything out closely once I had it all apart.
    I guess the main thing is that you need to get it all dialed in for where you live and as far as elevation you might need to change the jetting sizes.

Holley's can be a pain in the ass to work with and can be very touchy when it comes to getting them all tuned in with the motor.

What kind of problems are you experiencing? Check out some of my other posts about my carb when I was having problems and you might find some good info......
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

I had troubles with my holly being dialed in as well, it seams a seasonal problem however, buying a different carb is not the way to get back on the lake faster. I have looked into this and finding replacement parts, the proper mechanic to work on them is a nightmare. I don’t know how much of an engine gear head you are but just going to there web site www.holley.com/TechService/ saved me a few bucks just doing it my self. Look at your spark plugs do they appear fouled or very dark or oily in color, does your engine back fire? A very common problem is the engine runs rich or too much fuel is getting into the engine. Also try to drain the gas out of the carb, after fuel sits for awhile it (in short turn’s bad). Hope this few things help… well you have done all that might as well replace the fuel filter and make sure water has not got into your fuel tank, a common problem.
    i spent most of my money on women and beer: the rest, i just wasted.

I have a 2003 LS with the 310 hp,with 270 hours.I haven't even had to set the idle on the Holley.

Well I have a 1975 MasterCraft with a 351 Ford and a Holly 600. ONCE it is set up right or rebuilt correctly it is OK. Sometimes you might have to tweak it a little, idle it up or do a small adjustment. If you are having major problems then I would suspect it needs to be rebuilt or checked out by a Holly motor head. Now the new 2008 Moomba LS sitting besides her might have caused me to be a little more negative than I would have been last year too!

02 LSV with the carb here and I took the cover off once to see what the Holley looked like! Always fires right up and idles like a dream! Never had an issue or problems.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

No probs here with me 04 OB, either. But I do take care to do some PM like keep fresh gas, run the occasional can of carb de-funk through it, and the last couple times out at the end of the season start using Stabil so that stuff gets up and into the carb for its winter nap.
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I had an 87 Magnum Skier with a Q-jet carb. I had nothing but problems with it. Took it to the dealer, worked on it myself....nothing made it run correctly. Finally, I purchased an Edelbrock intake and Marine Carb. I never had another problem with it.

I rebuild carbs. What problems are you having?

runs very rich, the back of the boat is completly black after 2 hours of wakeboarding, does not idle down all the time. I am thinking is needs differents jets, and be adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing. I am not afraid to try, just need some pointers.