Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Disappointed with DBot5; looking for rack alternatives

I bought a DBot5 Robot Axl wakesurf rack. My intention was to store one wakesurf board and one knee board in this dual slot rack (the only dual slot wakesurf rack I know of). Due to my own lack of research I found out after I bought it that it is woefully narrow for my kneeboard.

However, after I received my wakesurf board, I decided to leave it on simply to clear up some space in the boat. I was incredibly disappointed in the design and quality of the rack. I've heard some good things about DBot5 products here and there, but I would not pay any amount for this rack, let alone the good money you pay for any tower rack. The placement of the bungee cord encourages the board to flop up and down in chop and when moving over 10 MPH. This is a problem in and of itself, but the 'quick-release' mechanism isn't able to stay tight, so the whole rack flops up and down with just one wakesurf board in it. I've tightened the quick release pin so tight that I can barely flip it closed and it still moves up and down when the boat is going. Also, the included shims for mounting on various tower sizes are metal, which means I've got a metal-metal connection to my tower; hopefully it hasn't dug into the tower metal or I will be buffing for hours.

So here are my questions for my fellow Moomba owners:

I have two "Nice Rack" wakeboard racks on my '05 Mobius LSV mounted to the horizontal bars. Are these 'factory' racks or were they added by the dealer or the former owner?

Can anyone recommend a single slot rack that holds a 2 1/2"+ kneeboard?

Nice Racks makes a single slot wakesurf or kneeboard rack, but according to the company it's just under 2 3/8 so I'm not sure it will hold my kneeboard. Also, I don't think it's available with the same clamps for horizontal mounting that are on my boat now and I'm scared to go with another round clamp.

Thanks for any input!
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

There are a few sites online you could check out.

http://www.wakeside.com is one of my favs.

DIY Wake is also a good place. I'm thinking about buying another pair of wakeboard racks from these guys. They're not fancy fancy, but they do a good job.

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopdisp...at=Board+Racks

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will pipe in as well.
    Life's a garden, dig it!

Tyger,

Monster.com makes a single slot wakesurf rack. I had their tower and wakeboard rack on a previous boat and they are well designed and well executed.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Damn, I just installed the dbot5 rack. Haven't even been on the water yet. I hope it doesn't suck. It wasnt cheap.

to each there own, I have a Dbot5 for wakesurf and hold 2 wakeboards love it it is awesome and gets three things up and out of the way

Smile

I am a dealer for their racks. No problems here. Actually, love the universal mount. The real problem is that you kneeboard.

Dennis

I have a Dbot5 Robot AXL on my mobius and it is fine, except I broke it this weekend. I can say that I emailed them last night at 9:30 and got a response at 11:30 with 3 phone numbers to call and he answered when I called. He emailed my 3 times this afternoon with a solution to repair MY screw up. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. I'd do business with them again. So Far, I have only put 1 board in the rack, but it works great....

If you have some problems, call them and let them help fix... great folks.

BW
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I just ordered two new board racks yesterday for my '07 LSV. I cannot stand the factory racks for one, I also have to remove my racks to store the boat. After much research i found the Airboom Quick Disconnect racks. Not only are they well made, they disconnect in two seconds, they have a clamp that works on the Moomba crossbrace and they are made in the USA all for $219 each!.

Airboom has a good rep and makes quality gear. I purchased these through Ian at http://www.onlyinboards.com. Some of you may know Ian, he's a standup guy and offers good prices on gear. Check out his racks page and see if anything fits the bill for your surfracks. I should get them today or Monday but here's a pic to hold you over.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Razzman; 05-23-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Hey Razzman,

Those racks look pretty good. Did you also consider monstertower.com's racks? They have a quick realease "skewer" like you see on bikes (on the seat post for example). I had a set on my previous boat and loved them. Plus, the new design allows you to adjust the width of the forks which comes in handy if you have a kid's board (with narrow binding placement).

I'd be interested in possibly buying your stock racks if you are getting rid of them. Please PM me a price if they are/will be for sale.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Hey Cab i considered evryone's racks! What a pain because nobody makes a clamp for the ellipse crossbar on the Moomba tower but Airboom! Skylon did make one and their racks are quick release as well but they quite making the clamps! I was going to buy racks for the 2 3/8" tower and bolt them to the rear leags but the boards would have totally blocks the sides and prevented easy entry/exit of the boat at the dock. Let me think about the stock racks here and i'll let you know soon.
    2007 Mobius LSV