Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebra Mussels

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Default Zebra Mussels

Well it looks like Colorado has stepped on the bandwagon and now we have to deal with this issue. What do you have to do to deal with this in your states? I am a member of a city owned lake and they will be inspecting and tagging all boats for this . I plan on going to other lakes but they haven't confirmed live sightings of them. Thanks, Jim .

Hey Jim,

Im not sure how they deal aith this type of inspection in your area. I can tell you that the main thing they will be looking at is your ballast system. The water that sits in the pump or the lines from your ballast can carry the zebra muscles between lakes.

Im not sure how the recommend you deal with that to make sure that all the water is out or a flush out but, if you have ever seen a lake or river that is overrun by the zebra muscles it would totally blow your mind how destructive they can be

Good luck
    Cheers
    Jay

Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

We do not have any pre - inspections for the lake because our water way is attached to the Great lakes by an extended canal system. Unfortunately they came over from europe in the mid 80's into the great lakes by ocean liners.

These pesky creatures live in the shallow part of the lake, from the shore line about 15 yards out or 10-15 ft deep. Tazz has two great links. They are about the size of your finger nails and are razor sharp ( like deep paper cuts). It has make us wear water shoes all the time at the shore line. they will attach to docks, lifts and boats that sit in the water for extended periods of time. The problem is getting better as it was bad in the past. Stagnant bodies of water is wear inspectors will check. I e. ballast bags,intakes, etc. I will show some pics as there are many deads one attched to the docks on shore, I wire brush them off before re-entry

Overall Pain in The Arse!!!

Below is some tips for you boats and motors.

Zebra Mussels

Boaters should also have a concern about zebra mussels. Zebra mussels have been found in Keuka Lake and are now a concern for lake residents. Boaters can help protect their boats from damage caused by zebra mussels and prevent the spread of zebra mussels to other bodies of water. The following suggestions may help to control zebra mussel damage to boats.

Motor Maintenance

• Flush out the motor by letting it run at a high speed for about 10 minutes at least twice a week in the summer and at least once a week in the spring and fall.

• Tip outboard motors out of the water when not in use so that the water can drain out. Raising the motor also keeps mussels from attaching to it. Remove any mussels that might be attached to the motor, particularly near the
    cooling water intakes and propellers.

• Pull out filter screens and check intakes regularly.

• Watch your temperature gauge. If the temperature is increasing, check the cooling water intakes for zebra mussels.

Your Boat

• Check the outside of your boat often and scrape off zebra mussels regularly. If the hull of your boat seems to have a grainy texture, zebra mussel larvae or veligers, have attached themselves to the boat. If you can, wash them off. For your own copy of the New York State Health Advisory titled "Chemicals in Sportfish and Game," write to:

NY State Dept. of Health
    Bureau of Toxic Substance Assessment
    2 University Place
    Room 240
    Albany NY 12203-3399
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

yeah, zebra muscles suck something fierce!

you can't walk in our lake without wearing watershoes... if you did you would cut you feet to bits, they are like razors.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

Probably makes a lousy chowder!

what do we have to do to our ballast to drain/clean between locations?

i heard that Pueblo had some, but when i registered my boat the parks and rec person said that they thought it may have been a mistake. unfortunately, i think it is inevitable that they invade us, given that they are in so many other locations.

Default Zebra Mussels

Well , the lake I am a member of Standley Lake in Westminster, Co., they are going to inspect , then tag the boat through the bow eye and then if you take your boat to another lake and take the tag off , you then have to have another inspection and possibly 5 to 7 days off the lake in qurrantine. It sounds like a pain but will see how it works out. I will probably take out the ballast bag and use 5 gallon water jugs full of sand in the back 2 compartments. No water, no mussels.

I get stoped when I go into California. They ask the twenty questions. I tell them that the boat is garaged and is not docked on the water. They want me to remove the drain plug to see if any water comes out. After I get off the lake and wash the boat, I always remove the drain plug. In regards to the ballast. I know it is a pain, but I remove them from the boat, fill them with water, rinse them, and drain them. Let them dry and put them back in the boat.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Default Zebra Mussels

I am going to a meeting next week to see what the city has to say. I am not looking forward to the process. Jim .