Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Temp

Default Water Temp

I am a new Moomba Outback ownner and I am really wanting to go skiing...now. I am curious if anyone knows what a "safe" water temp might be especially if my kids wanted to get in. I realize that some folks can tolerate near freezing water but I'm not interested in what I can tolerate. I live in Alabama and have been out on Smith Lake in north central AL 4 times since March but only when the air temp is 70F or more. I don't want to buy a wetsuit or anything like that, but I will be wearing a ski jacket and I guess that will give some added warmth. I think the water temperature is somewhere around 55F now. Thanks in advance.

Default Replying to Topic 'Water Temp'

I went out on Lay Lake on Sunday. The water temp was about 60 degrees. It was 70 air temp. I bought a spring suit from Academy Sports, you can spend $75.00 on the body glove model or $35 on the Academy model. I was comfortable in the water. Don't know about kids though. You can get a full wetsuit for about $20.00 more. I figure if I need a full wetsuit, I'm going to have a hard time finding someone to pull me.

Default Replying to Topic 'Water Temp'

I also ski on Smith Lake. The lake being river fed and being so deep it takes a long time for it to warm-up. However, the water temp is very nice during our Hot Summers. We usually go out a few times in May but Memorial Day seems to be about the time you can really get out on the lake and enjoy it. I am cold natured so I wear a Chill Skin under a shorty wet suit until it feels comofortable to me. My son and daughter wears a shorty wet suit, my wife won't get in the water until it is hot. There are some charts which tell you water temps and the reccomendation of wet suits.

Depends if you fall a lot or not... Here in Alberta in the mid summer water temp is about 70 F but when we finish the season it can be 35 F. I ski once when it is that cold and we have the heater going full blast. If you fall in that water you have about 3 min without a wetsuit about 7 with a wetsuit. I always deep water start so Yikes. I have skied in a full blizzard just because also. It is all up to how crazy you are. But be safe..... 50 F can still cause hypothermia. Water is a great heat sink and can cool your core very fast.
    If I had a scanner i would post some photos of me getting ready in March when I was younger I wore a parka, Hoodie, snow gloves, and jeans. Like I said crazy. ICe was forming on my hair from the spray it was so cold abot 30F. Air temp. But it was a blast and we had the house right there.
    Ski when the ice is gone stop when it returns.

I know how you feel,thats why for xmas i got a drysuit which i'm dyin to try out.Just waitin for a couple of local lakes to thaw and then LET THE GAMES BEGIN

I'm a fair weather boater so I don't get in the water without a wet suit until the air temperature is in the 80's and the water temperature is above 60 degrees. If your playing in the water it is still really cold but getting pulled behind the boat isn't too bad if you can get them out of the water quickly. Unfortunately, kids don't have much meat on them and they get cold rather easily. My kid wore a shortie wet suit through the early summer. You want the kids to be comfortable or you will start hearing some whining. The wet suits aren't too bad in price and I still have my daughter's old ones for others to use.

My buddy (crazy) skiis in january and feb in NY, they have a heated garage for the boat, swears by is dry suit Only thing gets cold oare feet hands and spray in the face. the ends of the lake have ice on them.

I am not that nuts, I was looking at wetsuits to ski and board in and help to get the docks and lift in earlier in the season. Any recomendations Oneil, gladiator, body glove etc..
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

As for brands,some are made slightly better than others,but i think try to buy closest size you can to fit snug but comfortable. Some brands /styles go for length ie shortie vs full length depending on intended use or warmth desired and or some brands offer different thickness for better or worse thermal warmth.Drysuits vary as to style and what you are or want to be able to wear underneith. Also how they fit snug/or baggy style.I have three versions and brands. One no name 20yr old Canadian tire special shorty,full lenght Bare and Sahara drysuit/not tryed as of yet, so i have no brand favorite just different versions for different uses and or watertemp. Hope that helps alittle. Best time of year to buy is obvioslly at end of year but who knows. :P

You going to need a drysuit for a while on that lake, unless you are "tough". (if you are a nascar fan you know how to pronounce "tough")

Mid April you could probably make it with a wetsuit only. It really does depend on the kind of skiing you are doing and how much you fall.

I like the water temp above 65 degrees before I shed the extra layers.

This time of year I am mostly footing on the boom and I don't fall much, so I just slip a full suit on under my barefoot suit and keep a cooler of hot water in the boat for my feet.

Try this, run a bathtub full of water and get the temp around 60 degrees. Sit down and seeif you can stand it for 15 or 20 minutes. Move the temp up and down as you desire, and remember the air temp may not be as warm as you home, and the wind is always a factor this time of year.
    It is better barefoot!

Default wetsuit chart

Water Temperature (farenheit)
    How the Water Feels to the Body What Type of Suit to Wear

80 degrees +
    Bath Water
    None Needed

72-80 degrees
    Comfortable
    Wetsuit Trunks or Shorty or Sleeveless Shorty

65-72 degrees
    Cool at First
    Short John Arms / Full Leg Wetsuit

60-65 degrees
    Very Chilly
    Full Wetsuit or Dry suit

50-60 degrees
    Extremely Chilly
    Full Wetsuit or Dry suit or Short John Arms / Full Leg Wetsuit with Jacket

50 degrees and below
    May Cause Shock - use caution
    Full Wetsuit or Dry suit with gloves, hood, and booties (if applicable)
    It is better barefoot!