Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat security

Default boat security

I have some questions reguarding boat security. I keep my boat on the trailer at the marina. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep the boat safe? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Go Boat

Well I would hope that this was a fenced in storage area? I have always kept my 2 boats in the front of my house and never worried about someone pulling them off. Now the Shiny Gorgeous new LS is sitting out there and I couldn't help but wrap a chain around the trailer (covered the trailer with a towel of course) and then wrapped chain around a huge tree and locked it together!!! I would never leave anything in the boat at the Marina like skis or wakeboards!

Also would get a key locking device to fit in and over the hitch receiver.

I think what Bentley meant was a coupler lock like this one:

I found it here: http://www.hitches-forless.com/hitch...ver_locks.html for 28 bucks, but do your own research and find the best one for your use. Xena even makes one that has an alarm, if you are very security concious. The alarm is triggered by both attempts to open the lock as well as just movement or shock, so it should keep people off the boat, period. I used one of these on my Ducati to keep people from sitting on it while I was away.

I keep my cover on the boat whenever it's not somewhere safe to discourage any casual inspection/theft, but it's not going to stop someone who is determined.

Obviously take your stereo faceplate with you and anything else, other than maybe your orange type II PFDs. Also, I would strongly recommend against locking anything in the glovebox, etc. These locks are very flimsy and will just cause someone to bypass them, damaging your boat.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

A guy I ride with some... puts long shank locks in the swing away tongue where the pin goes.. with the swing away open.. so that you can't tow it...

I keep mine in a locked/fenced storage with electric gate out front.. I think I am going to add the lock to the swing away..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I have a big thick chain and lock that goes through the wheel and around the trailor, as well I have one of the locks that goes into the ball receiver as shown above.... and full replacement value with my insurance policy!

If someone wants it that bad that they can somehoe get around the chain and ball lock... go ahead...

Here is the coupler lock that I use from Bart's

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4034
    Item Number: BT3358
    BART'S: $37.98

15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I've got a lock put through the swing away tongue loops, cant pull the trailer if you can't lock the tongue in place. Granted if they really want it they're going to get it. But I do what I can to discourage them.
    Mark Miller
    2010 Moomba LSV
    2008 Moomba LSV - sold

If none of these other methods work, just insure the boat for alittle more than it's worth and then worst case you get a BRAND NEW boat again..... YAY!!!!!!!!!
    Ridin' Dirty!

Maybe stupid question - but what's the difference between one of these fancy coupler locks and just putting a lock thru the cotter pin slot (with the coupler closed)?

As for security, mine sits out in the open on the lift - not much I can do about it. Lake won't allow walled in boathouses. So I do as jd suggested and just insure so I can get a new one!