Default Amplifier Installation 101

Would appreciate some advice from the stereo experts in the group. I will be installing an amp to run a sub. Can I just connect the ground and the hot on the amp to the distribution bar under the dash, or do I need to run separate cables from the amp to the battery terminals? Do I need anything else like a capacitor and such?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

The amp usually draws main power directly from the battery with a remote on from the stereo. That way when the HU is on, the amp is on. The are prolly other ways to wire so you can toggle the amp on and off, but above is how mine is hooked. I bought a car stereo amp wiring kit and followed the instructions that came with the amp. Pretty straight forward, really.
    Caps are a nice feature, or dual batteries if you have a high powered system. I don't have a cap, but am looking into a dual batt setup.
    hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I have the dual battery system. The amp should be conected directly to the battery. I am running two amps in my boat and I have them connected to the battery.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Yea, you absolutely positively always want to connect the amp directly to the battery, as it will draw far more current than any factory wiring and fusing is designed to handle. The amp is turned on by a "Remote" wire from the head unit, which is usually blue in the bundle of wires. If you want to get fancy, the best way to do it is to run an 18awg wire from the radio to a switch and from the switch to your amps "Turn On" lead. This will give you the ability to shut off the subwoofer amplifier when you like, and also keep you from accidentally leaving the amp on when the radio is off.

Okay, will do. Thanks for the tips.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

You know as I sit here thinking of how to wire and install my new goodies as well, it seems to me that besides Ed G's wake surf board, we should have a stereo board. It seems to be one of the hottest topics this spring. I think the Moomba clan will be rockin the lakes of the US of A this summer

While I would never run power for my amp from anything but directly off the battery or battery switch wouldnt it be ok if you were mounting an amp under the drivers aria to use the ground on the distribution block?

While I would never run power for my amp from anything but directly off the battery or battery switch wouldnt it be ok if you were mounting an amp under the drivers aria to use the ground on the distribution block?
    byron,

Good question because that's where I'll be mounting the amp.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

You want to run the wires directly to the battery. This includes the ground as well.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

I ended up running the grounds to the battery. In the past all my amps (3 in my last boat and there will be 3 in this one) have the power running to the "both" or "all" post on the battery switch. This way you can run your stereo off whichever battery you want.