Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Temporally immobilized

Hey I thought some of you might appreciate my first experience reversing the boat trailor-

I picked up my boat over the weekend and pulled in late...Crazy excited I couldn't wait to back it in my garage and pull the cover off. The grade of my driveway falls away from the house pretty good and its a real nasty lane to that driveway. So I head in and jimmy the trailor around to get the vehicle heading away from the house to back boat in. Imagine my surprise and choice words when I can't figure out why my brand new trailors breaks are locked up. My vehicle trailor hook up is 'one prong' short of the one needed to disengage this feature. I resorted to the manual where I found out how to bypass the safety feature with the highy technical piece of metal they give you that falls out if you don't duck tape it in. I had to collapse the tower to get it in my garage but i was able to put it back up after it was all the way in, had about an inch of room on each side to play with but it's all good..Just curious if anyone else had any similar stories or if I was the only moron who didn't have any clue. I'll try and post pics soon so you can see what im talking about.
    Adam
    ________
    CB400N
    Last edited by ajmoritz17; 01-22-2011 at 03:25 AM.

I had all the same problems till I got that fifth wire hooked up.BTW if you lose that metal bypass piece a nickle works perfectly.

Boy am I glad to read that I wasn't the only one to have that problem!! I keep my boat on the lake in a hoist all summer. At the end of the season I borrowed a truck that had a trailer plug issue that would not disengage the breaks when the truck was shifted into reverse. I too uttered a few choice words while trying to keep that same 'highly technical' piece of metal from falling out everytime. Every time I pulled forward that bypass piece would fall out and I would have to find in on the driveway and shove it back in! Very frustrating to say the least. I can't understand how such a well designed trailer didn't have a better system to disengage the breaks. So Adam....your not a moron...at least you got out the duct tape to solve the problem. I just kept on trying to put the metal piece back in differently convinced that I was doing it wrong.

We've had similar issues with my buddies Yamaha. When he picked it up from the dealer they didn't have the 'key', which we didn't know existed until we tried to back the boat down the ramp. Talk about frustration, the boat 6' away from the water on the maiden voyage, and we can't go in reverse, lol. We ended up being able to do it, just going really slow.

I learned when backing the rig in to my driveway that a peny fit perfectly into the Yamaha slot, made life much easier, haha.

Try putting magnetic tape on the bottom of the plug.

many times if you have a flat 4 plug just reverse the plug and turn your headlights on and it will disengage the reverse lockout.

Chris

Yep, or take the one on the end and just plug it into the 1st one by the male plug. Turn lights on and you should be good.
    b
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Or just buy the adapter for the plug in......
    2008 Mobius LS

Treat others the way you want to be treated!

Aj,

did you get the boat from the dealer? If you did and they let you leave this way I would have to call them back and have a discussion!

Aj - you are no moron. I'm confident enough in my manhood to say I did the same thing in front of my house - blocked the whole street! My neigbhbors were like "nice boat, now can you get that thing out of the way!" Ahh the joys of boating (and trailering)!
    07 LSV
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!