Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wake Plate Question ...

Do any of yall have a wake plate on a D.D. ? reason asking I'm seeking a larger wake for the most econmical way. Just cant afford another boat right now such as the V-dr. If they do have wake plates on the D.D. do they make much difference in size and shape of wake? thanks, bob

Similar question,

Can I put a wake plate on an 07 outback?

It has that little plate, BTW anyone know what that is for?

and what is a D. D.

I see that alot but can't make the connection?????
    It is better barefoot!

I don't know about the quality of the wake, but I did ask the dealer if the hydraulic wakeplate could be added after the fact, should I decide down the road that I wanted it. They said that it can be done, but its very labor intensive, and thus pretty expensive to have done, because they have to get in behind the fuel tank and such. I believe he said its almost a full day of labor to install.

It may be time consuming, but it would not be complicated.

I took my seat and tank out this weekend trying to figure out a way to stop the backsplash EVERYTIME I fill up.

I was really expecting to find a kink in the air release hose, but to Moomba's credit that is really a great design. However the inlet hose is a terrible design!

It has a 90 degree bend less than 3 inches from where the pump nozzel would end. no wonder is splashes back!

Sorry got off on a tanget there>>>>>>
    It is better barefoot!

so what is the actual purpose of the plate?

does it increase the wake size, or help the boat plane when loaded, or both?

What happens when you use the plate on an unloaded boat?
    It is better barefoot!

Sled491 Guest

OK, the wakeplate does not make the wake like say the Wedge on a Malibau. The wakeplate actually is used to smooth out the wake on the larger heavier boats. On the Outback the small black plate is again to give some lift and flatten out the wake to make a tournament level wake.

The hydraulic wake plate used in conjunction with ballast is used to shape and refine the wake for user preferance.

Most people get it backwards because of the name "Wakeplate".

Bama, do I understand you correctly. Are you asking what DD is? If so DD is Direct Drive on the Outback or the Mobius LS while Outback V and LSV and XLV are V drive, refering to the way the drive train forms a V from the engine to the final drive.

DD = Direct Drive

Versus a v drive

On my v drive the wake plate shapes the wake small flat for skiing, rampy for boarding, not sure the effect on the DD, should be similar except for the weight location difference.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thanks Sled!

So a Wakeplate will not do me much good, as I suspected. I just could not see how it would increase the wake size.

Now on the DD question, not to insult everyone that uses that term but to me it is redundant.

So in a conversation if someone tells me they have an inboard, and do not identify it as a V drive, then I would assume it is a direct drive. Too many years in the slalom and barefoot world I guess. Never even been in a V drive, not real sure I ever saw one in person until I started looking for my current boat last year.

Nautique made one in 1993 that was supposed to be a good barefoot boat, about the time I was getting out of competition, and I never got a chance to see it. Don't know if anyone else made a V that early, or when they really came on strong. I was on my 15 year sabbatical.

I understand why all you wakeboarders love them though.
    It is better barefoot!

Yeah today my wife learned that with the Wake plate down (engaged) there is not much of a wake on the LS. Pull the wakeplate up and now you have a decent wakeboard wake, fill the rear tank and wow look at that wake!!!!! We both had it backwards in our mind until we finally got to play with our new LS.

Sled491 Guest

Hey Bama, no problem. that's what I'm here for, to share all the useless knowledge I hold