Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Ski do you use?

I was reading some of the posts of people talking about using double bindings and how now the boots have laces. I realized that Mr Z and I are dinosaurs again. Not Dick Pope dinosaurs but we do have old EPs. I have a Stiletto and Z has a Tactic. I am not sure how old they are, maybe 10 years?

Z definitely needs a longer ski since there is more of him to love now. I think I would like to see what new technology can do for me since I have celebrated the 16th anniversary of my 30th birthday.

What does everyone use here? Suggestions?

Mrs Z

Ours have dual high wraps too but no laces. How do laces affect skiing? I was wondering what else has changed in the past 10ish years?

Ski now have shaped cuts in them for the novice and intermediate skiers. This really does make it easier to turn. Also, construction materials have changed, which means each different ski (even if it is the same shape/design) can have a different flex. For example, Connelly F1 is their 'best' ski, the F1X is the exact ski with more flex, thus a little easier to ride.
    Bindings in skis and wakeboards have come a long way in the last 10 years. Laces allow you a better fit while also making entry easier than before. A couple of newer designs are hinged bindings which accomplish the same thing but provide more support. You can also get shell boots, like snowski bindings. Radar (ho/obrien) now offer bindings that look similar to shoes.
    Basically, everything has gotten much much better in the last 10 years.

Z I have a new ski I will be picking up next week I am a big guy so I went with the HO Magnum with double shock boots, I have never used the double boots but am going to trust in them.
    2008 Mobius LS

Treat others the way you want to be treated!

Z,

I went with an Obrien synchro 69" I do alot of open water skiing,( no courses) some chop here and there. Looking at adding the rear boot, never tried it before. I skied on a 165 cm Obrien competitor since i was in my 20's, twenty years later i am a little "Husky" for the green machine..

Can't wait to try it out this summer.. I did not believe in the shaped skiis, but I went that direction on my snow skiis and I would never go back. So going give it a whirl on the water ski hopeful of the same results...

PS they brought back the Obrien world team Comp, how cool...
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Mrs Z - I ski a Connelly F1X w/ dual hi-wraps. Age: 54 Weight: 175 Skied last summer for the first time after a twenty-year sabbatical. (Sold Nautique - graduate school - no money - no boat.) The F1X works fine for me. No plans to upgrade or substitute with another ski this season. Great to hear that you are up and about. Congratulations on the new boat! - Deerfield

Default Connelly F1x

The F1x is a fantastic ski for anyone learning the course. I switched from an older (15 year old) O'brien and was blown away by the improvement.

Now my family has an F1x for me (5'10", 180lbs), Concept for my father, and Hook (also know as HP) for my mother and wife.

Also, the Connelly skis all seem to be cheaper than some of the other big name brands but are at least as good.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Default Phantom Truth

Phantom Truth 68" with double animal bindings.
    Stephen
    Georgia Tech Water Ski
    http://waterski.gatech.edu
    Tournament info https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=5296

Obrien Siege

Double Hi-Wrap

Also been on a sabbatical since 1993, never was a big Slalom skier, just play in the course every once in a while.
    It is better barefoot!

Sled491 Guest

Hey Mrs Z, good to see ya on the boards again, your little back problem has got Mrs Sled to thinkin this route she's taken with her back may not be the right one.

On to the ski thing. I also ski a Siege with double contact highwraps. My wife skiis a Rumor Pro with DHW and Dakota has the HO Judge with SHW and RTP.

The lace thing and hinged boots etc all give you a lot easier axcess with in my opion double rigidity. The old soft rubber pull ups were still very low compared to the newer highwraps. As also mentioned earlier, look for softer versions of Tourney skiis. You get the quickness and stability but loose some of the unforgivingness (is that a word?) of a true tourney ski.

For you almost every one is making a lady specific ski now. Might be worth a looksy. Price is usually comparible. Look for factory blems to save some big money. Some classic designs are still great skiis, like Ed G's Kidders. When that ski came out I got one right away and was blown away by it's quickness and real speed across the wake. It's still available today for a reason.

Can't hurt to revisit lengths as well.