Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by danimal365 View Post
    How deep is the kick panel? I'm thinking of the JBL MPS1000. The sub has an intigrated amp and enclosure.
    I don't remember. Stick your head in the ski locker and look towards the footbox. You'll be able to see right into it and can measure the depth.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

al,

would filling the hole behind the subwoofer with speaker poly fill help the boomyness or just a different sub.

Joe
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

another dumb sub woofer question. what size does the OBV 06, 07 , 08 have in the kick panel. I just won a new polk MOMO 10" sub (like al's) on ebay and now that i am at the lake the kick panel seems to be only 10 inches tall . Yikes I think I am Screwed can anybody confirm or tell me what size sub came in the new OBV 08??? I am scrambling to get all my equipment in before the she goes to the dealer on the 21st for the winter.
    Last edited by jmvotto; 10-11-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    al,

would filling the hole behind the subwoofer with speaker poly fill help the boomyness or just a different sub.

Joe
    Joe,

I don't know. I thought poly fill has the effect of making a small enclosure act like a larger one. I think the boominess comes from the fact that the Polk/MOMO sub likes a sealed enclosure and the footbox is anything but.

My boat is a 2006 LSV and the 10" sub fits fine. A 12" sub definitely would not fit.

Not sure about an OBV though.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I placed my 12" subwoofer in the battery storage area opposite the driver side. Subwoofer's generally work best when they are NOT in a free air situation, in a box that's tuned for the subwoofer. The other thing to know about bass acoustics is that bass frequencies are not as directionally perceived as are higher frequencies, so it doesn't matter that you "see" the subwoofer to hear it. The natural resonance cavity of the battery storage area makes it a great place to further amplify the bass sound. I made a sound box out of 3/4 mdf and to waterproof it, I coated it with fiberglass epoxy (sans the glass strands), then covered it with black outdoor carpet (using rubber cement). This box fits nicely under the area (had to measure the height to ensure that the box with the sub sticking up cleared the panel that goes across the cavity and still met the volume requirement for the speaker box.

As an FYI, I hooked the 500 watt sub to a 450 watt Kenwood monoamp, running the bass control to the panel under the steering column. The monoamp is mounted to a similarly waterproofed and carpeted piece of mdf and leans up in the battery storage area.

I replaced the two factory tower speakers with 4 polk momo audioformz, wiring them to the factory supplied amp. I replaced 4 of the factory clunker speakers with 4 polk momo's (two in the bow and two aft) wired to the head unit. I unclipped the two remaining factory clunkers from the head unit but left them in the aft cutouts.

I added an ipod adapter to the kenwood to drive the ipod through as a cd changer and mounted an ipod holder to the sub amp board.

If I upgrade from here, it would be to add a second multichannel amp for the bow and aft speakers, adding two more polk momos aft, and eliminating the head unit as an amplifier (at loud volume levels, the head unit amp cuts out, by not using the amp section, just the preamp, I can drive the whole system louder).

Well the October project is done and she is resting quietly in hibernation can't wait until may 7th. to hear this one. My installer says this is the best sounding system they have put in a moomba....(although we are in Western NY where FM radio is still really Cool)
    Thanks to cab's input and the rest of the board help this solution fits.

Towers speakers polk db51 control by pac lc1
    six interior polk db51's installed all by myself ( no pictures)
    jl M6600 6 x75 rms with bass control next to ignition
    10 inch polk Momo sub ( it fits hooray!)
    dual battery with isolator

tower 1&2channel
    cabin speaker 3& 4 channel
    sub bridged 5& 6 channel

bow speakers off the HU with 150hz bass blockers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Lookin' good, JMV! (Hopefully sounding good too!)
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

NICE! So I guess you'll have to grab a couple of cold ones and go sit in it and listen to some music over the winter!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Joe,

Looks good! So does the sub sound "boomy"? Is your foot box sealed?

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al, I did not hear it yet, the dealer, who has the installer is about 90 miles away and now she is in winter rest. the young man who did the work and tuned the amp channels states that it is very tight but i will hear for myself in may 09. i can't wait and will let you know. we did talk about sealing the ski locker hole, but he stated it did not need it.
    I am glad the sub fit, i was worried about that.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold