Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Subwoofer Placement Question

I am getting ready to install a 10" subwoofer in my 2006 LSV, in the factory location. I plan to install it dead center in the driver's foot panel. One one pic that I saw in Pride and Joy, it looks like the factory installs it a little bit left of center. Does anyone know for sure if I can install it dead center? I don't want to start cutting a 10" hole only to find that there is something back there that would prevent a dead center placement.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I do not have the newest LSV, but in the older one the steering cable and a lof of the harnesses run through a hole that is just to the right of the kickplate? Maybe the reason, but I am not sure. Can you lift the front bow cushion and look underneath and see the back of the kick plate or is it blocked off?
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Jesse,

It's the same on my LSV - there is a hole on the right side on top on the kick panel that wiring harnesses go through. I cannot see the back of the kick panel from the bow storage as it's boxed in.

I guess it would depend on how much slack there is in the stereo and battery cables that run across where the subwoofer would go. I may have to do some splicing, worst case.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al, Call the guys at Stereo King A call, they do the installs for Active. They put my sub in the center.
    David
    08 LSV, Z-5 CARGO, TANDOM AXLE CUSTOM WHEELS TRAILER.....HOME LAKE IS BILLY CHINOOK CENTRAL OREGON

Are you using a free air subwoofer? In order to mount the sub the way a regular speaker is mounted requires a special sub. Free air subs aren't very loud either. I have a 10" sub in a sealed box firing down towards the floor and it sounds awesome, even with only 150 watts to it. Subwoofers need to be "loaded," which means they need to pe pointed at something dense so they will reverberate properly. My opinion? The factory mounting location is a bad choice and I would not reccommend it. Alos, that kick panel should be able to be unscrewed and come right off, then you can look behind it and see what is there.

I purchased a sub encloser from www.audioformz.com. It fits just on the other side of the foot rest. I have installed a boston Acustic 10" sub in it. with a little packing, it sounds sick. I was also concerned about the wires. So instead of making a mistake, I purchased a sub encloser. I will post pics of it as soon as I down load it from my camera.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidl
    Al, Call the guys at Stereo King A call, they do the installs for Active. They put my sub in the center.
    David
    David,

Could you please post a pic that shows the full width of the kick panel?

Thanks,

Al

Are you using a free air subwoofer? In order to mount the sub the way a regular speaker is mounted requires a special sub. Free air subs aren't very loud either. I have a 10" sub in a sealed box firing down towards the floor and it sounds awesome, even with only 150 watts to it. Subwoofers need to be "loaded," which means they need to pe pointed at something dense so they will reverberate properly. My opinion? The factory mounting location is a bad choice and I would not reccommend it. Alos, that kick panel should be able to be unscrewed and come right off, then you can look behind it and see what is there.
    NCSU,

I am using a Polk/MOMO MM2104 10" sub. I don't think it's a free air sub. The kick panel is boxed in and has a hole on top for the wiring harness so it's like a ported box. And mine does not have any screws that I can see that would allow it to be removed.

I purchased a sub encloser from www.audioformz.com. It fits just on the other side of the foot rest. I have installed a boston Acustic 10" sub in it. with a little packing, it sounds sick. I was also concerned about the wires. So instead of making a mistake, I purchased a sub encloser. I will post pics of it as soon as I down load it from my camera.
    Tazz,

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to take up storage space under the bow when there is already a pre-made box for the sub (i.e., the kick panel). But please post the pic - I'd like to see how you placed it.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Cab--
    Here are the pictures of the sub ecloser install. Please mind the dust. I just finished the install and need to clean up.

This was the only clean way to install the sub without sacrificing messing up the foot rest. I really like the encloser. I works for me. Also, did I mention, the sound is awesome. I read your reply a little late. This section does not get used . It really does not take up any needed space. I still have plenty of room for the ropes, jackets, anchor, and so on.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings

Cab--
    Open your ski locker in the center. Look to the left (driver side). The battery cables come through that section. It is not really closed off. At least that is how it is on mine. And yes, it is true, you need a free air sub woofer in order for this application to work. If not, you need an sub encloser.

Default Al

I e-mailed you a few pics
    08 LSV, Z-5 CARGO, TANDOM AXLE CUSTOM WHEELS TRAILER.....HOME LAKE IS BILLY CHINOOK CENTRAL OREGON