Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline

Default Gasoline

Hi, I just joined this forum. I have '06 Moomba Mobius LSV. Anyway, I just have a question for you....

I'm a wakeboard hardcore so I usually fill up my ballast with some extra over my stock which is 1000 plus. That brings up to 2000 plus in LBS. Anyway, I know that it does burn up alot of fuel but I sometime have a funny feeling that my fuel may be burning more than what it's suppose especially when my ballast is empty.

So I was wondering how does your fuel gauge (supposely you started out with full tank) says after a 2 or 3 people taking 2 or 3 sets per day with ballast on. No cruising around or anything. For me, it burns up approximately 1/3 of gallons.

Another time when I went on a vacation which I didn't load up my ballast but cruised around alot going in 30 plus MPH, it burns up alot of my fuel. So please input your thoughts so I can see if my engine is just fine or something's wrong with it. Thanks!

Are you burning ethanol blend!?!?!? I’m kidding.

We have noticed that we get less mileage from our vehicles when we buy gas from Places that sell it at the lowest cost, such as QT and Race Track. Our mileage improves, and power to some degree when we by gas at the more expensive places. So, I’m not sure if there is really any cast savings when buying gas at the cheaper places…

The fuel gauges are never accurate. Top off your boat. Use it as normal for a few hours. Record the hours from the meter. Top off the the boat again. Do some math. Find out an average hour per gallon burn rate (mine is a bout 4-5). Divide fuel tank size by this number. That is how many hours of fuel you have. Now, keep an eye on the hour meter everytime you go out and you will never run out of gas.

Agreed NCSUmoomba

My 2007 had a very unreliable gauge. It read 3/4 when it was full.

My burn rate was also 4-5 gallons per hour. I think thats relatively efficient given the loads and the type of boating we do.

If your concerned about fuel economy.........buy a pontoon with a 9.9 .
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

I have a 2003 Outback LS with the 310hp carb engine.I have taken some long rides(40 to 50 miles) at a steady 30mph with 5 or 6 people aboard on calm water.Using a GPS for distance my boat gets about 2.7mpg.I have checked it several times and it's always about the same.Inboards just like gas,but you can't beat the power!

2.7 aint too bad by offshore fishing boat standards.. back when I lived closer to the Gulf, we fished a bunch out of a 23 Wellcraft with 200 and then 23 Contender with 250.. Wellcraft hovered around 2mpg and thanks to Yamaha, contender got up near 2.5mpg! We usually ran 50-70 miles out.. 150 gal tank I think.. Yeah, gas was less than $1.50 then. Finding a crew of 4-5 was important for the gas split.
    We had a great system. We all went to the pump on the way home and split the fill up. NO Free Gas!

I have to say, my Outback with 13x13 prop got pretty good fuel econ compared to when I upgraded 11x13 prop and to my LSV with 14x14.25 !
    I miss the Outback towing at 2200 rpm!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Yeah these things don't burn gas!!! I have a 25 footer with a Pair of 150s sitting on the transom. A trip in the Gulf cost between 125 to 150 bucks!!!!

Thanks everybody... Now, I feel much better knowing that I am not only one who's burning too much of gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes144
    Thanks everybody... Now, I feel much better knowing that I am not only one who's burning too much of gas!

You can never burn too much gas......
    Ski when the ice is gone stop when it returns.

6 gallons an hour is the figure for our boat

Also with boat the moomba's we've owned when the tank is on E that means there 10 gallons left.