Default May be a dumb question but - swivel pylon head?

Can that be added without replacing the pylon? Is there any compelling reason to do it? I guess the purpose is to reduce the stress on the pylon while skiing? If you recommend, and it can be added by just placing something over the existing pylon cap, any idea on cost/availability?

I am sure the pylon is turned on a lathe to create a cut to locate this part. I guess what I am saying is you will probably have to replace the pylon. However, my 33 year old skiboat does just fine without anything, the aluminum is so polished there that it does not resist the rope from rotating.

I don't think much is gained by adding a swivel head. The worst that happens now is the rope gets worn out over time at the pylon just by the forces exerted on the rope. The effect of the pylon on the rope is about the same whether you have the machined smooth pylon with no nicks or had a swivel. I'm guessing also that being a competition ski boat that there are standards for the pylon as all the ski boat pylons have the same characteristics.

Yup, all it does is reduce wear on the line, does nothing for the pylon's strength or ability. Skier bling.

-J

Thanks for the responses. It sure seems strange that this is such a claimed "selling point." I just figured there had to be something more to it than a little wear on the rope.

By the way, it also seems like someone could invent something that would just fit over a standard pylon that would allow it to spin aftermarket and sell a boatload of them for $29 or $39 or $49. Maybe there is no need for it is as it really isn't much of an improvement for older boats and most newer ones come with it.

Sled491 Guest

Save your 30, 40, or 50 bucks for fuel this summer, looks your gonna need it, if catch my drift

I believe that the pylons that don't have the nylon bushing are like my old MasterCrafts which means it has an extra horizontal piece of aluminum that creates a cross so the rope doesn't fall down to the floor. It would be hard to put something in this area. I can also so that maybe the new design is a little safer as there is nothing for the kids to hit their heads on when they trip after you hit that wake from a 26ft cabin cruiser.

Default guard the heads

The moomba pylon top has a hex screw that allows you to take off head and insert/remove the bushing.

The head of the pylon is still metal, so keep guarding the heads!
    Stephen
    Georgia Tech Water Ski
    http://waterski.gatech.edu
    Tournament info https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=5296

I find the rope to stretch out too much and lose its elasticity long before it wears out at the loop connections. So I get a new one every year anyway. Swivel head is neat and thats about it. Save your money.