Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default wetsounds xs-650's vs. DB651

I'm going to replace my stock speakers and was looking for some advice. Please compare the two speakers. I know that the wetsounds should be better but is the price difference worth it.

Also how much modification is needed to put in the xs-650's.

I am currently running an Alpine MRP-250 on the kenwoods and know that this is not enough power, What would you suggest for the 650's.

I have the Polk DB 675's and I would think you'd have to hear them both to decide a winner. I can tell that I LOVE the polks, they are bright and bright in an outdoor setting is perfect. I had to use my roto-zip to make the holes just a little larger but it was no big deal. I power them with a JL 6450 and they are bridge over 2 channels for max 4 ohm power.

Go find the two and hear for yourself....all that will happen here is you will get opinions. It will be the person who can best convince you if you don't do the homework.

Before:

After:

2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

Sled491 Guest

Say Aqua, I bought the Polks to upgrade with as well, exactly how much cutting was involved? Also do you think they need an amp? I was also going to add a sub and amp for that, but as long as I'm doing all this I could as well add a second amp.

Opinions welcome

I just purchased the Polk Audio DB651 for the boat speakers and the Polk Momo for the tower. The boat speakers are being pushed by a Kicker MX 700.5 (5channel amp) and a Kicker MX350.4 for the Tower. The 5th channel will be pushing a Boston Acustic 10" sub. I am in the process of installing the system. The DB651 fit perfecly in the stock holes. No modification needed.
    Tazz

I've heard nothing but good things about the DB651's. Espically for the price you can't go wrong. If you check E-Bay you can pick up a brand new pair for around $70 or so. Crutchfield.com is also running a special for buy one pair get the 2nd half price so that might be something to consider.
    Wetsounds is a great company with excellent products, but a bit on the pricey side. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Also a few other brands you might want to check out:
    Kicker KM620 MSRP $150
    Infinity Kappa 602M MSRP $150
    Sony XS-MP1602 MSRP $130
    Polk MOMO MMC650 MSRP $150 w/ 3 year warranty
    Clarion CM1625 MSRP $120

Hope this helps
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Sled, I had to do a little cutting. All in all the roto-zip really did all the work......very easy. Yes you need to amplify the speakers. I used a JL 6450. But it is bridge so I can give my tower speakers alot of power. The interior is pushing 70 watts to each speaker(6). VERY loud and very nice.
    2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

IMHO, for speakers to sound good and to get the most out of the money you put into them, they really need to be driven by an amp. Geez, that's the whole purpose of upgrading, right?
    If yer not gonna throw the juice to them, why bother?
    my buck fifty
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Buttafewcoe--
    I couldn't agree with you more. It takes a good amp and good speakers to have great sound. I can't see spending a grip of money on a name brand system.. Yes I have a good name speaker (Polk Audio). The best thing about my system, is that for everything that I have and paid for, still does not equal to cost of some tower speakers alone. Go with your feelings. My $0.02
    Tazz

I haven't changed out the factory speakers, yet. Mebe next year. I 've got that Sony Xplod 500w driving them tho and it makes all the difference in the world.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Couldn't help myself, after purchasing 2 Pro 80's for the tower I just couldn't stop. Ended up getting 6 xs-650's and the new ws-420 EQ not to mention 2 new amps to push this stuff. My old Alpine Amp (1 year old) wasn't strong enough to push the xs-650's which are rated at 100 RMS @ 4 ohms.

The worst thing about all the cash i dropped is having to hear my wife hold it over my head every time she wants to go buy something