Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Freezing Temps Tonights!!!!

How concerned should I be that we where out on the boat 2 days ago in 75 degree weather, and now we will dip just below freezing.... The boat was winterized before I took it out on Sat. but not any more. Should I be freaking out right now or is this something that as long as it isn't exposed to freezing tempatures for long should be okay?
    Ridin' Dirty!

I live in wisconsin, and you should be fine if it only gets below freezing for the night. If it were below freezing for a couple of days then I would be a little worried. Must be nice to have been on the boat the other day. We hit 43 for the first above freezing day of the year. Today 27, over a 18 inches of ice on the lake.
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

drop a trouble ligt into the engine compartment for a litlte insurance

If the duration of the freezing is short don't worrying about it. Put a light into the compartment would be fine. Nowadays, you have to define the lightbulb. A light bulb that gives off heat not the energy saver ones. With technology you can get a clock that projects on the ceiling and take the sensor and put it in the engine compartment. You can stare at the ceiling all night seeing how cold your engine got (lol). Where I live I usually get do something if the temperature is expected to dip below 28 degrees.

Thanks for the posts guys I put two 75 watt light bulbs in compartment(one on each side) to be on the safe side, do you think this is too much/too little or just right?
    Ridin' Dirty!

i just live north of you in tulsa.

i have done what you did many times, taking the boat out for a day when it's nice after being winterized.

big question, is the boat garaged or not.

if not, i would drain the block and mainifolds.

if so, the light bulbs will be fine...

And heater if you have one. In a garage you will be fine.

SD2

One light should actually be enough! It has to stay cold for an extended period of time (days) before you do engine damage (cracked heads and/or block). It is 32 degrees at my place now, but it isn’t supposed to get that cold tonight. It only take a few minutes to take out the drain plugs from either side of the block though, and unhook the water hose to drain our exhaust manifolds, if you are concerned. You might make sure you have your ballast lines unhooked from your rear ballasts so that you can drain the lines and maybe even unscrew and empty your strainer on your ballast system….but with two lights under your hood, those roaches will be having a beach party tonight!

I think it's just as easy to reach down and unscrew the two plugs on both sides of the engine block to let the water drain out.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Excuse the question but I'm a newbie at this whole V-drive thing

Anyone know if I'm just missing the screws on the block to drain it? On my DD boomerang it was a peice of cake....... is there an easy way to get to them on the V-Drive?
    Ridin' Dirty!