Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Trailering the Boat :(

I recently purchased a new 08' Outback V so naturally with it being new I am incredably paranoid of anything happening to it for now. I Had a 1997 closed bow boomerang before this boat that i traded for this one, My G/F was never really all that great at trailering the boomerang but I never thought much of it b/c it was old and had a few black marks here and there but now this boat is much larger and more difficult for her to handle...... Any suggestions out there that could keep a good day on the water from going bad? Also she has no experience backing a trailer down a ramp.... I know sucks to be me....LOL

I learned how to tow the hard way; I hooked it up and started driving!

Maybe take her to a big parking lot and practice. Its always easier (for me at least) to back-up a tandem trailer, as compared to a single axle. The main thing is just don't rush. The people behind you on the ramp can wait, safety first and take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton
    I learned how to tow the hard way; I hooked it up and started driving!

Maybe take her to a big parking lot and practice. Its always easier (for me at least) to back-up a tandem trailer, as compared to a single axle. The main thing is just don't rush. The people behind you on the ramp can wait, safety first and take your time.
    I'll second the notion of practicing in a parking lot. Take some cones to make a "ramp" if you have to.

I do the trailer backing up and she does the driving of the boat onto the trailer and thats my concern because from time to time she would come in sideways with the boomerang and there is nothing more exciting than watching your boat play plinko on the way up the trailer either way I think the solution is definately to get her in an open parking lot, i really like the cone idea for a "ramp" thank you for the input.

You could take your boat over to the boat ramp sometime during the week and let here practice backing it down the ramp when there's hardly anybody out there. This will give her more confidence when it comes time to launch on a busy Sat./Sun. when boats are lined up.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Just change the way you load and unload the boat. My wife is super helpful in the way we load and recover the boat. This is due mainly to the fact that she NEVER has to dirve the trailer backwards or load the boat. Here are our steps.

1) I back the trailer down into the water to unload boat.
    2) Get out and start unhooking things. Wife moves to drivers seat and only has to backup 3-4 feet straight.
    3) Boat slides off of trailer and wife parks the truck and trailer, still only driving straight.

4) a fun day is had many beers consumed, a few faceplants and some good natured ribbing at the people that are worse than we are!!

5) Head back to marina and get wife to hold boat at dock.
    6) I back the trailer into the water and put the truck into 4 wheel low and place in park.
    7) Wife gets into the truck and I put the boat onto the trailer.
    8 ) She pulls the boat out slowly until clear of the ramp and parks the rig still only driving straight, turns are easy.
    9) We both do tie downs and inspection to make sure all is clear.
    10) I back the boat into the dry storage slot.

We are both happy and neither one of us had to do something that was scary or made the other uncomfortable. She does NOT like to back the rig up so I do not make her. If she ever asks if she can, I will let her, until then the above steps will be used. Hope this helps. Do no force her to try something that will only ruin the day for both of you. Yelling at the wife because men are smarter than they are and they should read our minds only makes the day awful and as many of you know if they are unhappy there will be less days on the water!!! Just be patient and let her step up when she is ready.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Still being new to this Forum I have certainly put some time in reading other posts before I came home with my new baby, and of all the forums I am a part of this I can tell will be the funnest, looks and sounds like there are just a bunch of helpful people that share the same interests across the board thank you for the insight and Jesse NICE post your right on the money. Thanx

Ditto Jesse. I would love for my wife to be able to handle the trailer completely, but we do it exactly like Jesse and it works out well, unless I have one of the guys with me who is better at backing up..

We have discussed the parking lot, but time never makes itself available for training!

One funny... last summer, we took a quick friday after work trip. Storm blew in and the ramp we put in is NOT conducive to wind. There is a protected harbor 1/4 mile away. We had to motor into the protected harbor and let her off to go get the truck.. supposed to be an ALL forward deal til she got to the other ramp... time elapsed and never saw her drive up.. i got worried and started walking towards.. found her stuck on a single lane street between a HUGE dropoff on one side and the harbor on the other. They are redoing the harbor and had closed the road.. she was stuck. Poor thing... she was quite relieved to see me come running up! HAVE NOT addressed the driving issue since!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

See that is the type of situation that I would not like to put her in..... However I'm sure it is a situation where you can now look back and laugh, But both you and Jesse make a lot sense in what you say.
    Ridin' Dirty!

My wife has/had the same problem...what we did was go out early when there was no one around and I would have her practice backing the trailer down with me sitting next to her and I would do my best not to laugh or yell...also with bringing the boat up on the trailer, I would sit next to her and tell her to pretend she was going for goal and just shoot the middle...she is doing really well now, but still gets nervous if there are a bunch of people around...just gotta keep practicing!