Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reese350 Guest

Default 2006 LSV: Draining gas tank?

Hi,

I sold my 04 Outback and upgraded to an 06 LSV late last season. The boat only has 20 hours on it in 2 seasons and 2 of them were last season (by me). It has a full tank of gas that has been in there from the previous season so I would like to get it out and start fresh this year.

I'v heard there is an access plate that gives direct access to the tank to siphon it out.

Any idea where it is on an 06 LSV?

Thanks!

Couldn't you siphon it out via the filler tube, or is there something different from boat gas tanks to car gas tanks?

Reese350 Guest

I tried to go in through the normal gas cap but I couldn't get into the tank. Maybe I just need to try again. I just figured it would be a lot easier if there was a direct access plate.

Reese,
    Congrats. I did the same thing last sept. (04 outback to 06 LSV)

If you pull the back seat forward and remove the fiberglass cover over the trans and ballast pumps, you should be able to access the gas tank inlet right there. Also, the fuel filter is right down in that area. Only problem with access there is it might be tough to siphon from in the boat to out of the boat (it will have to pump up hill..)
    What are you planning on using to pump the fuel out? As far as I know, there is only the fuel filler hose inlet and the vent hose next to that... that will be your only access point to get fuel out... If I remember correctly, you'll be able to get to the vent hose easier than the filler hose. Vent hose is around 3/4"
    You may have to pull the floor to get to the whole tank...
    You'll have a ton of ant poisoning or bad lawnmower gas handy now!
    Make sure you pump all that out in a well vented area.

Good luck and enjoy the LSV. We took ours out today. 1 set wakeboarding and a couple wake surfing..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Reese350 Guest

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how I'll get it out yet. I just know I don't want to pay the $10/gallon or $400 the dealer wanted to get it out. The sales guy said it was so expensive because they have to pay to dispose of it but the technician said they just put it in the company trucks. Not cool...

I'll have to mess with it when I get it out of storage. Thanks again!

Take the line off after the fuel pump, put the line in a gas can, put power to the pump and wala. That's how I empty my tank every fall.

Reese350 Guest

Thanks Zabooda, I'll give that a try when I pull it out of storage. Sounds like the most practical solution as long as everything is easily accessible.

Forgive my Newness, but is there some type of fuel stabilizer that can be used that would not hurt the engine. I use some for My John Deere, its not an 8 cycl moomba though. Just a thought.... Wow the dealer charges that Looks like alot of work.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I believe I'd use the gas anyway. Put you a little octane booster or fuel treatment / injector / carb cleaner in it and away you go.
    hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I thought it was best to store the boat for the winter with a full tank anyway to minimize the amount of room in the tank for moisture to accumulate? I personally agree with butta. I think you're ok to use the fuel especially with the amount of ethanol they mix in with gas these days.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!