Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom Light bar --- Finished!!

Well this winter I did not have very many projects for the Mobius. I am running out of things to modify and add. It must be getting close to getting another boat! Anyway, I had to build a custom light bar since I could not find one that at least tried to hide the wires. As many of you that know me, know that I can not stand visible wires. Also I wanted lights that were simply white, not chrome or stainless or polished, just simply white to match the tower speakers. Well after about three months of creating/scrapping and tweaking, the light bar is complete and installed! I started with a piece of aluminum stock and a large can of POR-15. Here are the results.

I removed the stock rubber plugs in the back of the lights and replaced them with rubber grommets and then ran black "tubes" that contain the wires through the grommets in the bar itself. NO WIRES!!! Well except the ones for the tower, but they will be hidden in a later step!

Running the wires through the tower....what a pain!

Man is this a hard hole to drill. I had to drink an extra beer to get my courage up!

Here is where I hid the wires betweed the tower and the light bar. A grommet was inserted into the tower as well as the light bar and a "tube" containing the wires was inserted between them.

Notice the single "tube" in the center of the light bar that contains all of the wires.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Jesse, those lights look so cool! Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2008 Mobius LS

Treat others the way you want to be treated!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam26
    Jesse, those lights look so cool! Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks, I decided to build my own since I could not find any that had the mounting clamps, bolts and other items hidden. I tried to make it as clean as possible. The pictures don't do them justice. I can not wait to take some pictures outside. The basement makes the pictures kind of dark.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Looks very good! I too hate wires, and that is an awesome install!

Forgive my 'noob-ness' on this question, but is the light bar for wakeboarding at night? If it is, then wouldn't you want more lights facing the rider, instead of the front of the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton
    Looks very good! I too hate wires, and that is an awesome install!

Forgive my 'noob-ness' on this question, but is the light bar for wakeboarding at night? If it is, then wouldn't you want more lights facing the rider, instead of the front of the boat?
    Perfectly good question. Some people do wakeboard after sunset. On our lakes here in AL it is illegal to ride behind a boat after sunset. My lake has markers to keep you from hitting the shallow spots/ underwater trees. If we head for the boat ramp too late, the markers are hard to see. I did this more for navigation than late evening riding.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

where did you get the lights?

I have never seen that type anywhere.... also what did you use to route the wire from the light to the bar? it looks like black conduit, or plastic.

Great job.
    It is better barefoot!

Jesse--
    That looks awesome. I too am having a custom light/speaker bar made for me. One thing I would like to know is: Where did you get the rubber grommets and black tubes. I wanted to do the same to mine. I never liked that plastic/rubber hose that hides the wires. What size wire did you use for the lights?

Off the subject. You helped me last year with wiring up my new tower lights to my assecory switch on the boat. I now want to wire my tower amp to the second half of the same switch. My switch is a dual function switch. Up is for powering the lights and down, I want to power the tower amps. Do I need another relay for this? Do I switch the power to the amp or use the blue control wire for this process? Any help would be great.

Again, your lights and the job you did on the boat looks Awesome. You really take pride in the work you do. Great job
    Tazz

Sled491 Guest

Jesse, very clean installation, you've missed your calling

Quote Originally Posted by bamaspiveys
    where did you get the lights?

I have never seen that type anywhere.... also what did you use to route the wire from the light to the bar? it looks like black conduit, or plastic.

Great job.
    I do not remember off of the top of my head. I went down to the garage and I have already chunked all of the boxes. When I get to work Monday morning, I will find the receipts and post what they are and where they came from. They were really cheap, something like 25.00 a pair! I liked them because there are no external mounting brackets or "nut and Bolt" type brackets. Everything was internal!!

The "tubes" going from the light to the bar is actually some type of sprinkler tubing from Lowes. It was 45 cents a foot. It has a hard plastic look, bends really easily and did not deform. I tried three different types of "tubes" and this was the only one that would bend and not deform and had an external diameter that was the same as the internal size of the grommets.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Tazz,

The grommets and tubes came from Lowes, gotta love that place. The only difficult part was having to extend the lights wires to go all the way through the tubes. The plug ends would not fit and I wanted to keep the "tubes" small. I just extended the wires pushed them through the tubes and resouldered the ends on the other side.

As to your relay question. Yes you need another relay for the amp.

Wire relay position purpose
    Red wire 87a can be removed (not needed)
    Yellow 87 12volt constant
    Blue 30 12v output to amp remote wire
    Black 85 Ground
    White 86 12v input from accessory switch

I would remove the red wire from the harness. In this wiring configuration the red wire will have 12 volts when the relay is at rest (off). I always remove the red one from the harness to make sure it can not short on anything. The wire colors in your harness may be different than the above chart. Be sure to check and make sure the relay positions match the wire codes above. If they do not, just wire according to the relay position.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In