Default Kidder redline vs Connelly FX

Been skiing on a redline for 7 years now...gettin older, I think it's time to buy a new ski. I'm thinking of the FX with nova plate and rear toe strap...any suggestions?? I'm 5'10, 185#

Personally, I have never skied on a shaped or wide body ski. However, at 5'10" 185# I don't think you are a good candidate for that unless you are over 60, or are skiing behind an underpowered outboard. I am sure there are people out there who will disagree with more experience with the FX.

I have been skiing Connelly slaloms for 21 years - only two skis in that time frame. I currently ski on an 8 year old Concept (hard to believe it has been that long). I let a couple of friends ride mine for many runs and they both finally broke down and bought their own skis - Both bought new Concepts - and Both absolutely love their skis. One of them had been on a very large shaped ski - I think it was an early Connelly. thing looked like a surf board. They were skiing behind a small runabout with a strong outboard.

I am now 52 and am enjoying skiing more than ever. In the last 3 years I have adjusted my style to be more efficient (I think) and have increased speed and shortened rope and am loving it.

My concern now is not in the ski so much as my body holding up...

Try before you buy - if you can. Local ski shope (vs. mail order) are more likely to allow yo to buy on ski, and keep swapping them out till you find the one you want.

Good luck in your choice.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Thanks for replying Dave. I went out tonight with a couple of friends and one friend who's a slalom guy said "Connelly Concept". He has a Redline also. He says he loves the Redline, although it's an unforgiving ski. He pushed me to the Concept. I'll give it a demo and we'll see...

I used to ski on a HO VTX ski, which I loved. I decided to move "up" and purchased a Connelly Concept and F1 (package deal). I sold the F1, and now regret doing that. I absolutely hate the stroker bindings, especially when compared to the HO bindings. Anyway, my wife has a FX. The FX is a great ski, easy to get up on and the shaped portion makes it a natural in turn-in. I really like the FX, but is has a RTP and I really prefer double high wrap. The concept will hold in a turn better, but I am moving back to HO or Obrien. In the end, general skiing is better on the FX. On the course, if you are less than 15' off or greater than 32mph, you will be beyond the comfort of the FX and should be on a different ski. The concept is a good ski.

local - I ski an F1X w/ Vision front and rear plates. I'm 53, 6'2", 175 pounds. My comfort zone last summer was 32 @ 15 off, after twenty years of no boat or skiing. F1X works well for me. Our boat is an '07 Outback. - Deerfield

Deerfield, Yea, talking to John last night, the Redline is an unforgiving ski. Just the little bit of research I've done today, Connelly makes a ski that doesn't wear ya out! I'm 48...I can still do it but the wind isn't what it used to be. I'm looking at the F1X, Concept, and the FX.
    I haven't skiied behind my '08 Outback yet, but, DAMN!!!I can't wait!!

Thanks guys

go with the connely. I used to have an HO Mach TRX for years. I sold it about two years ago and bought the connely. It is a great ski. I feel more comfortable on it than I ever did on the HO. Don't get me wrong, the HO is a great ski. I personaly think the Conely is a better ski for me. My 0.02
    Tazz

local - You are in for a treat. Outback is a great ski boat - no matter what you are riding! - Deerfield

We ski behind an 07 Outback and have a Connelly HP, Concept and F1X. The three skiis take us from casual wake crossing up to 32mhp at 15' off for 3 generations of skiiers.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

I'll throw my $0.02 in as well.

I have the Connelly HP, FX, and Concept. All have their uses. My goal is to get good enough to step up to the F1X. The FX is a bit too shapped to really get into it - great enjoyment ski, Excellent slalom trainer ski... but not great for real carving. Concept is AMAZING - the more I push it, the more it gives and helps, and shows me it is going to be ok. The damn ski holds my hand through the wakes. There is a reason it is so popular, and has not changed much in 10+ years.

Enjoy,

Joe