Default Summerize your Winterized Boat.....

Hey guys I figured that I would start a thread to help some of you out there Summerize your boats for those of us where Winterizing was needed.....
    If anyone else wants to add to the list feel free to!
    (I stole some of this from another website)

So, what should you do?
    Hopefully all the oils, gear lubes, grease zerks , oil & fuel filters, should have been taken care of during winterization. If not, time to get it done. Also look in your service manual/owners manual at the maintenance items it suggest for this time of year and however many hours you have on your boat.

Now let's talk raw water pump impellers. Inspect the impeller every year and replace if you think it's time for a new one, espically on external raw water pumps they should be replaced every year.
    Now you know the impeller will not be the reason you are sitting at the dock on a 3 day weekend with an engine that doesn't cool.

Look at your engine belts and pulleys. If they are all rusty, time to take them off, sand em up nice and smooth and paint em with a good coat of enamel. Allow to set for a day if possible just to allow the paint to get cured completely. If the belts are thinned down from the rust, replace them now.

Next, it's time to tuneup the engine. Yea, I know what people say about wasting money on spark plugs when they only have a few hours on them from last year, but they have also been sitting with fogging oil on them all winter, plus your cap and rotor both see a lot more corrosion than in the auto industry. If you have points and condenser, well, there is no doubt you need new ones. The points are probably glazed over and you will be getting very week if any spark., but hopefully it will start with the old ones.
    Start the engine and let it warm up a bit and burn off all that fogging oil. When the smoke clears, pull the plugs and do a proper compression test. See link below.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/97/97_25.pdf

The main reason for the compression test is to make sure all is well. Record the readings and put them in your log book or a page in your service manual. Then you can check them next year to see how your engine is doing. Change your cap, rotor, points, condenser, etc.
    With points ignition, you want to set your dwell, set your timing and check your advance timing, adjust idle speed, adjust idle mixture. If you have electronic ignition, just eliminate the dwell check since you don't have points.

Now, you know your engine is running properly and set to specs so you get the best fuel economy possible. And with the price of gas the way it is, that is a big plus.
    While your engine is idling (on muffs of course) make sure it shifts and steers.

Make sure you have oil pressure and the temp is staying where it should. Listen for any strange noises, now is the time to investigate.
    Shut her off, and just go over all the hose clamps to make sure nothing was left loose during winterization. Make sure the drain/vent plugs on the outdrive are tight.

Check all the fluid levels (including battery water). Recheck all the battery connections. It's best to get rid of those wing nuts and get standard nuts and use a wrench to tighten the freshly cleaned and greased connections. Might want to look at the other end of those cables as well. Corroded ends are a great way to spend money with Sea Tow.
    If you have a closed cooling system, make sure it's at the proper level.

Now, since your corrosion guard product you used to keep your engine nice is probably gone. Time to add another coat.
    You also want to check the other boat systems needed. Nav. lights, anchor lights, horn, all Coast Guard requirements. Also check your bilge pump and float switch. Make sure the blower works, it's also required.
    If your boat has them, now is the time to check the head and domestic water systems for operation.

Make sure your life jackets and other safety equipment are up to date. Fire extinguishers and flares must be checked.
    Now, do your entire cleanup and waxing, you probably won't have to leave anymore greasy fingerprints on your boat this year, because you know all is well right at the start.

Don't forget to check your trailer; it has to get you to the water. Wheel bearings, breaks, lights, etc. all need checked and repaired.

Then all you need is your stickers for the boat, any other license/insurance requirements your state may have and you are ready to go boating.
    This is just a basic list and really doesn't have a lot of details. That is what your service manuals and owners manuals are for.
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Don't forget to stock your cooler with ice and your fave beverage!
    And all that stuff Aaron said too!
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttafewcoe
    Don't forget to stock your cooler with ice and your fave beverage!
    B

Butta - Thats a MUST have on a Hott Summer day which I hope isn't too far away.... Come on Spring 21 more days!!!!!!
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

I'm wore out just from reading all that!Maybe I'll just leave the boat in the barn this summer.

james, you know as well as I do, it's a labor of love!!!
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

56 more days here till I get my baby home
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

I will follow Butta instructions instead Aaron ones...

Sled491 Guest

ANd believe me Butta is pasionate about his list

Don't forget to check your tower mounting hardware.
    I was midly suprised how loose mine were.The rubber pads compress over time.
    Lead,Follow or get out of my way

Might want to check the battery ground lead where it bolts to the engine block. Found corrosion starting to form on my mine.