Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think it's a personal preference. Most of the top slalom skiers use double high wraps, but not all. I used to use them back when I skied a little better but now I don't and I like the extra convenience/comfort.

Sled, I've always heard, and waterski mag has an article on this recently, that you never want only one foot to come out. That can lead to some serious leg/ankle injuries. If you use a toe plate, make sure your front foot will come out in a tough fall. If you use double high wraps, make sure they either are so tight they'll both stay in or they're equally loose so if one comes out the other can too. Just my 2 cents.

Sled491 Guest

Volfo,

You are absolutely correct. That is how I ended up with that 2ft bruise up my a@#. When the one foot poped out the ski rotated the oposite direction I did

As for both feet coming out or staying in good luck with that In 20 yrs or so that is my experience, one foot always manages to stay in and if you do have a decleater it's probably really going to hurt anyways and you will probably spend the rest of the day as the driver . I don't see that being much different than using a RTP and a front highwrap. You crash, your rear foot comes out of the strap and the front boot hangs on to your forward leg while the ski wraps you around.

On my old ski with the ancient Connelly make-my-feet-hurt-so-bad-I-don't-want-to-ski-anymore-double high wraps, I sometimes had that one foot out one foot in problem - but most of the time they both stayed in unless it was really nasty. Now, with the rear toe plate and HO Venom wrap on the front, the ski basically just comes off for a moderate to hard fall.

Sled,
    Last summer I decided to teach a friend of ours how to ski. We get down the nice but seldom used pairs skis. OK the friend is a woman of the family so you know I am going to show off a little bit too! Somehow while jumping the wake and showing off I started to fall backwards so I pull real hard on the rope and fall forwards! My right leg left the ski but my left leg stayed in the ski on top of the water as my body rolled forward. My straigth left leg went past my left ear. I stretched it out so bad I lost feeling in my left foot. I torn my hamstring and a$$ muscles real bad. Was in the emergency room! But no buise for 2 days and then WOW the whole left leg is BLACK, BLUE and PURPLE!!!! I am still having problems with that leg!!!! And the woman, she says she will stick to Kneeboarding!!!!

Sled491 Guest

Z,

Isn't that always the way

I leave the showing off to Dakota now, and so far it has worked. Becasue no one wants to be impressed by some loud mouth middle age dude want a be. But to see an 8 yr old show off who doesn't even know it yet is something every one can apreciate

I have always ski with a rtp and started with both feet in the bindings. So I think i will try the double boot to keep my weight back,
    If you guys would stop scaring me with these wicked wipe outs
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Sled491 Guest

Even starting with both feet in on a RTP it will be different. Simply because you probably push down on your toes now and raise your heel. With the Highwraps you'll have no such option.

As far as the crashes go we are talking almost 20 yrs worth of skiing here

Thanks, Thats a good point, I have screws in my back ankle since 16, 24 years ago, hasn't slowed me down yet except in the 50 yard dash(15 sec flat) Just looking t get the slop out of the back foot. With the new moomba HP should get my big $ss out of the H2O, while the 190 four winns, I would not even think about it.

I have had my share of wipe outs, barefoot off one ski(ouch), face plant barefoot off knee board, hyperextend knee from two skiis jumping the wake. lots of wakeoard face plantsover 20 years. Gotto go to work ever week so just a weekned warrior.

Thx for all the input.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I too have been on a slalom for a while, 37 years to be exact. Historically I have skied soft rubber high wrap with rtp. The last two years I replaced the broken Connelly Contour front with an Obrien contact. A significant difference. After making two turns I thought there was no way I could ski a binding that stiff. But now I love it.

I never have trouble with my rear foot staying put when I ski and I try to keep my weight centered over the ski so am having a hard time seeing the proposed benefit of doubles.

I fall a lot and have only hit the ski once and ended up with 7 stitches between little toe and one next to it. No idea how that happened.

With the new stiffer binding - with laces - I have stressed my front achilles once because of a partial release out the front. It has been about 6 months and still working on stretching that. but it did not stop me from skiing.

I think if a guy really wanted security you might go with something like a Fogman system or that 3M velcro type stuff with a plate binding... Not very familiar with that..

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Sled491 Guest

Dave, I use the Obien Contacts as well. Like you siad way different from the soft rubber jobbies of old. My trick is to lube the binding with Vasoline. Works great as boot lube and doesn't wash out right away like slime or any of theose other lubes. The double advantage here is that it lets me get into my bindings easily and then when I crash it helps with ejection. Usually there is enough left on the binding for me to get in one more time without a relube