Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just out of curiosity - how do you deal with the laces.

When I first got them I tried just hooking the pull tab on a back eyelet, which it seemed to be designed for. It stayed put about 2 turns and then started flopping all over the place. Sometimes getting stuck behind my calf and the binding.

I tried multiple strategies before landing on one that works but curious how you dealt with it.

I thought about cutting it back, but have not gotten there yet. What I am doing now is threading the end of the lace back under the top laces before I pull it tight and then finishing the tighten. This forces the laces to retain them selves.. Is this really obvious and I am just dense - or did you have a similar struggle?

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Sled491 Guest

Actually even after 4 yrs I find the boots so tight that I loosen the laces so they don't flap around and I still have plenty of lateral control/feel

Can you still apply forward pressure without the laces tight?

That was the first thing I noticed when going from the softer Connelly contour to the Contact. With the laces tight and the stiffness of the boot my first couple turns practically stood me up in the pre-turn.

But now that I am used to it I find I really like the advantage the stiffness gives me in providing pressure on the tip in the pre-turn...

Dave

Sled491 Guest

I have a crushed ankle that has been screwed back together, so I don't really have that problem, hence I can get away with the undone laces

Default Just bought new F1X (connelly) with double draft boots...

Just bought the F1X with double draft bindings..
    I cant wait for water to get warm in Nor cal so I can try this ski out with double draft bindings. For anyone who hasnt seen these.. gone are the days of pushing and shoving with soap to get in the boot.. these are HINGED so you can just undo the locking hinge and OPEN the boot.. then close and lock.. tighten the laces and giddy-up
    Anyone try these yet.. opinions?...
    Also the Ski guru at the shop set up the ski so my back foot was slightly angled in.. says i'll get a better cut and more control in turns.. any comment?

thanks

Sled491 Guest

A buddy of mine has a set of hinged boots on his Goodee and he loves them. As for the angle thing, I wonder. But set up is always trial and error so post the results

From ski mag online: good read

Double boots or a rear toe plate?
    Question

Double boots or a rear toe plate? It seems the British pros favor the rear toe plate while others favor a rear boot. Do you find it's an advantage using an RTP or is it just preference? Also, do you rotate the RTP?

Terry Loyd
    Statesville, North Carolina

Andy Mapple Says

Definitely rear toe plate. Those Brits know what they are doing! Just kidding. Not sure why many of the British skiers use the toe plate, maybe because we like to stay as dry as we can in the winter doing beach starts. There are advantages to both and I would not say one is really better than the other, just a preference. With the rear toe plate it gives a little more freedom to be in a more natural position to bend the knees and be a little more flexible in different situations. A skier with a rear toe will usually have more front foot pressure on an off side turn, but not as much power off the back of the turn. Rear boot skiers have in the last few years started to cant the rear boot to get a more natural position to be more flexible in the turns. There is definitely more security in the pull with two boots and more leverage available, but you have to be careful that the rear boot is not too stiff, otherwise you gain too much control through the rear foot and stop allowing the ski to run its designed path. Bottom line, it is really whatever works best for you. Good luck.

Andy Mapple
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I got a Radar Senate a few weeks back and ordered them with the HO Shock boots. Yes they have come a long way. They do lace up but they are so comfortable! And I did angle my rear boot, not because I read anything about it but because it was an option and I thought it might be more comfortable. Well it was and the boots are great! They do lace up and I kid of like this system as you are allowed to create the fit you want and not have a boot like the ones of old that were just tight as h&ll!

One theme in this thread that struck me was the security of the double boot...all-in or all-out. I too suffered a major hamstring injury as a Novice 4 years ago doing a one-foot-in start. Lost a year and a half of activities. On the recent ski ('05 HO Vengeance), went with the RTP for: a) convenience b) dock starts just after the ice melts c) familiarity. This weekend replaced the RTP with a second HO Animal boot. Result, for those who may be considering, is it definitely felt more secure. Didn't have to think about that tug on the ankle during the weak side turn. However, definitely did not ski as well. The weak side turn was much poorer, explainable by Andy Maples comments previously posted. I'll stay with this setup, but it'll take some adjusting of technique.

PS (Andy's comments about canting the rear boot makes alot of sense. Don't know where to go with that. Ages ago there was a one-ski downhill skier in a Warren Miller film. His rear foot was extremely canted. Man could he ski!).

I have been skiing with RTP forever. Originally because the old outboards simply could not get us out of the water with both feet in. I fall alot and have never really had problems that I would relate to useing the RTP.

I also have pulled a couple of hamstrings that could probably be related to starting with one foot out, but were more a function of the amount of power applied at startup by the boat than anything. What I found is that to avoid that, if you are in an environment where most of the skiers are two footed starters, make sure the dirver knows you are a one footed starte and to go a little easier on the way out. This last hamstring pull was most likely the result of what the driver was expecting.