Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default rear ski boot (double)

I got a new synchro fro xmas with '08 targa front boot and rtp. I ski on an open lake with some chop but no courses. I am and intermediate to advanced skier, but not even close to pro level. I have never skiied with a double high wrap. I saw on overtons the targa '06 rear plate for sale $59.95)

1. will the '06 targa boot fit with the '08 front ( colors may be off)
    2. Is a rear boot worth while for the weekend warrior who doesn't ski the course, but likes to be aggressive.
    3. Or if I want to try the rear boot just add the '08 and screw the sale price.
    4. just ski with what i got.

I may have answered my own questions, Any thoughts from you skiiers.

Ps. Put a new kitchen floor in the cottage yesterday, 50 plus ice fisherman out front. Not a good sign, but alsways good to be at the lake. Maybe I new a snowmobile and snow skiis.......
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I have blown out so many rear toe loops that I finally decided one day to get a rear boot. Man I should have done it from the begginning! It gives you so much more control and confidence. I suggest you get a rear boot!

JM,
    i think i ski similar to your ability and conditions. occasionally get on a course. i always skied with the RTP, to step start and avoid getting in the cold water.

after i rode with a double boot (took a few tries to get up) i bought HO triumph with double venom boots. i agree with Z.

though i do ski with the rtp when we have to wear the neoprene boots cuz the water is cold.

The 06 should work fine with your 08 boot. Bindings don't really change that much under the same name. A rear boot is the best thing you can possibly do to enjoy skiing. Whether you get the sale price or a new 08, I highly recommend it.

Default wileys

Wiley's is a little bit cheaper http://www.wileyski.com/waterskis/bo...ndings-866.htm

When I got a double boot ski I swore I would get a rtp for more of the recreationally skiing days - but then I never did. You just get used to the boot after a while and it almost feels strange to go back - like you should take your foot out or something.
    Stephen
    Georgia Tech Water Ski
    http://waterski.gatech.edu
    Tournament info https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=5296

Sled491 Guest

About 20 yrs ago I bought my first ski with double high wraps, I'll never go back. Heck as I get older and lets say more mature around the middle I just hand down my shorter skiis and go longer, you know for the increased bouyancy. Anyhow any one who has one of my old skiis usually loves the upgrade to the DHW. It blows people away to watch my wife pull out her DHW and deep water start with it

You should have no problems with the 06 to 08 thing. Hole patterns for bindings are based on manufactuer not model yr.

sled,

Thanks, I give it a try when the Ice mets in march

JV
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Regarding double boots -
    I fall a lot at some pretty significant speed. I have always worried about proper release when using doubles. Are these valid concerns?

When I start with open toe - I start with one foot out - always have. Much less strain on body.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Well if you use double wraps you will have to adjust your starting procedure. I actually went to double wraps after I tore a rear toe out and then the ski went bouncing up between my legs until it stopped at a very critical point during the crash.
    This is only my thought, but I don't want the ski coming off when I crash now! I tuck into a ball and pull it up tight with me. I feel much safer knowing where the thing is instead of knowing where it has gone before! It wasn't pleasant!

Sled491 Guest

Dave,

I have had some bad crashes, one on shortline at 34 that made my rear foot leg black from the back of my knee up to my a@# and including it. Last year I nosed into a little chop on my off side at 36 and folded myself in half. Had bad back pain and discomfort for about 4mnths. But as Z pointed out you will usually ballup and roll out of it.

Boot technology like everything else has come a long way and with the highwraps I currently used the lateral stiffness is so strong that I can leave the laces loose for ejection and still have more control than I have ever exerienced. And in fact I don't find my feet going to sleep like I did even 5 yrs ago with the old straight pull on boots.

Starting becomes a bit more of a battle of wills thing and requires way more strength, but a small price to pay. I would aslo say that 99% of the time if I go down one of my feet (usually the rear one) will come loose