Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ski rope question?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my father a new ski rope for his birthday, but I don't know anything about slalom. I am big into wake boarding so I know all about the ropes we use, but could use yall's help a bit. My dad's a recreational skier, he doesn't really ever hit the course but he does ski a competition ski and skies around 34-36 mph. I've never really seen him shorten a rope that much and he's only ever skied with the straight 11"-12" handle.

His current rope is a piece of crap rope from walmart, so I want to get him a quality rope, but I can't break the bank. I'm looking at spending around $60 for a rope and handle. I've seen the straight line ropes and galidator ropes on overtons, and someone also suggested masterline. Do yall have any suggestions on which ones would be good for him? Thanks for the help!

Mark

Any quality ski rope will work just fine, it will really get down to "how the handle feels" in his hands and since it is a present you won't be able to answer that one. I would get a nice rope, not too expensive and then fork over some extra money for some gloves for him too!

Thanks Zeg, I'll look into it! Hey is there an advantage to the curved handles? Or is that just a preference thing as well?

Since I have never tried one I cannot answer that but I am sure that would be another preference issue. My wife is the "big time" slalom course skier in this family and she won't go without her gloves. She finally bought me some a month ago because I was complaining about our current handle being rough on the hands, HOWEVER I will not get to try them until the water warms up which in my case it will be a couple more months.

Hiya Miller_Time

Ski ropes are as personal as underwear. What one person hates the next guy loves. If your Dad is used to a straight handle I wouldn't try to convert him now. Find a nice quality rope with a straight handle and take zeg's advice about the gloves. I'd be careful about thin lines too. People that aren't used to them have been known to rip fingers and thumbs off.

Good luck
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

Sled491 Guest

You know the thing about ropes in my opinion is that you can never have enough of them. Second most handles on sectional lines are changable. I tend to waste a bit of money experimenting with ropes, gloves, etc. I tried the curved handle from straight line last year and instantly fell in love with it. I've tried expensive fancy gloves with matching greptile handles and hated the set up.

I do agree with MM that ropes are a personal thing especially for someone with you dads experience. But I bet he'd be more willing to try one you bought for him than trying to convince him to buy it on his own. Heck it's a gift I bet he'll be thrilled. Chances are he still goes 15 off so go with the sectional anyway you go

I'm not an expert on ropes and handles, but I do have an opinion after doing some shopping at the end of last season.

First, you should have him go to your local boat store and 'feel' some handles and see what he prefers. I ski twice a week in the season, once behind a friend's boat with a radiused handle and once behind mine with a straight handle. I don't have a strong preference either way, but when I buy a replacement it will have a 13" wide radiused handle, like this one:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

That rope/handle combo is out of your budget, but it looks pretty good. If your dad skiis agressively at all, he'll tear up cheap handles. A cheaper option that is probably an improvement over what he has is this:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1009&r=view

Good luck and props to you for thinking of a great gift - I hope I get a new rope for my birthday!

Allan

Also, you can expand your search for ropes and handles to ebay. I picked up a Straight Line multi-section rope with 12" straight handle and a Spectra Wakeboard line for under $50 and they were brand new.

Your results may vary.

Thanks for all the help guys, it looks like I have plenty of research to do now, I guess I've gotta find a store with a good exchange policy haha. Never thought a ski rope could have so much character. Thanks again!

I am 52 and have been skiing for 35 years. I have snapped handles and pulled cheap ropes apart at the back threading. My experience suggests the following:
    1. Never buy a rope at Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc....
    2. Never buy a rope with a wooden core handle - they really hurt when they snap.
    3. Always buy a rope with sections down to 41 off, preferably from a well known manufacturer. Does not need to be top of the line. But if it has multi-colored sections to 41 off you can pretty much rely on the overall quality because the cheap ropes are not likely to put that much thought and effort into making the rope.
    4. If the rope has labels on each section, even more likely to be reliable.
    5. A higher quality rope is also probably more likely to actually be correctly measured.
    6. A floating handle is preferred over a sinking handle, but not if it sacrifices the overall quality of the rope.
    7. The handle bridal should be removable.
    8. I find that good gloves make the features of the handle less critical.
    9. After you get the rope, take the first section (15 off) off the rope and leave it off. No one should ever ski on a 75 foot rope.
    10. Once in a while shorten that rope up just for the fun of it.
    Good luck
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off