Thread: Impeller Help

Default Impeller Help

I have a 2007 XLV with the Indmar 340 5.7L ETX/CAT engine. I have not been able to find any information on the impeller. I have been through both the Moomba and Indmar manual but they do not I.D. the impeller by a part number or model number. I think its a Johnson Pump with either the 09-1028B or 09-1027B impeller but it would sure be nice to know before I open up the pump. Thanks Richard

I can't help you with the part number but I was curious as to why you are wanting to change the impeller on a 2007 boat? I know I am going to catch some flack for this next statement but I have gone years on the same impeller. I do check it every spring by putting the intake hose in a bucket and see how fast it sucks it dry (I have an old MC that this is easy to do) but they for last years, OK I will be totally honest, I have changed mine 3 times in 15 years and never had a problem. If I see no wear, and it has not taken a firm set it is "back in she goes". I would be more afraid of not sealing the housing correctly causing a vacuum leak if I were to change it and check it every year.

The manual recommends changing out the impeller every two years. I just wanted to have one on hand should the need arise before that time.
    I guess I spent too much time in the nuclear industry where we like to have redundant backup systems in place.

You know!!! I think all of us on this board are glad you guys are that way!

The manual, which you can download/access on the moomba website, recommends that you change your impeller yearly or every 100 hours. It is located on page 60 of the owner's manual in a chart format.
    I do not have the part number, so I am no help there. Contact your dealer and they can give you the part and part number. I highly recommend that you carry a spare impeller on the boat at all times. No sense in being DIW because of a $30 part and a 5 min fix with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Impellers can come apart at any time, many do last years and years.

Pretty Sure the impeller is the Johnson 812B.
    call the guys at SkiDim.com (or email them) They are great to work with.. very knowledgeable and great prices. OR, check with the nearest dealer.. most will ship you one if you are not real close...
    I picked up my spare at a Moomba dealership in NW Ark while traveling for work..
    I know the Indmar 310 and 325 uses the Johnson 812 impeller.. just not exactly sure on the 340. WHen looking it up, the references are only about being a Chevy 350 Indmar.. no reference to 310/325/340 so I am pretty sure that's the one..
    BW
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

ditto on skidim.com bunch, super user friendly, great service, great knowledge. When I bought my boat used, I called them, they asked a cpl. questions and said this is the impellor you need! they will give you tips on work your doing yourself etc. just a great bunch of folks...

Brian Raymond Guest

The rule of thumb on impellers is to change out every 100 hrs. during the season or at the end/beginning of the season. The impeller may still be in good shape, if so, toss it in the glove box as a spare, or give it to someone on the lake that did not change thiers. This is cheap insurance on something that can be catastrophic. When replacing, always remove the hose on the intake side of the transmission cooler to clear any weeds or debris. If any missing blades are noticed when removing the impeller, be sure to check the hoses before and after the thermostat and impeller housing. These can cause overheating or a stuck open thermostat, which will cause the engine to run to cool and rich. Be sure to replace the gasket every time the impeller is replaced. The impeller and gasket part #'s are Indmar #685007 and 685008, these can be purchased and/or drop shipped from your dealer. When removing the impeller, I have found that when you remove the faceplate, spray soapy water or Fantastik into the housing, and crank (not start) the motor for a few spins, then install 2 small screwdrivers in the 10 and 5 o'clock position, and "chopstick" it out. Everyone has thier own ways, this is my fave. Hope this helps. Brian Raymond

I recommend NOT to run the impeller until it quits... the 100 hour rule as directed is good... when I first got my 2005 Mobius LSV, I thought if it's pumping water and keeping the motor cool, it's good... WRONG! When the impeller came apart, pieces of it got stuck all through the cooler and other locations that I had to have a professional find and remove - because just putting in a new impeller WILL NOT push all those pieces through... it only shoves them further into the cooling systems!

NOW for the question... I replaced my impeller for the year, and have a significant leak on the engine side of the housing... I don't see anything on here about replacing the bearings and/or bushings in the housing... can anyone direct me to a good video, etc. If not, I have the Clymer manual... suppose I will thumb through the 471 pages and find how to fix that... or just put a complete new pump on it.
    THANKS!

Did you check YouTube?

There was a guy on a Mastercraft social media page that rebuilt Ballast Pumps and Water Pumps. It was a little bit ago. Don’t recall he discussed where to buy parts.

Maybe reach out to Johnson Pumps to see if they can help to finding a rebuild kit. Get the part number from your dealer first.

I assume a dealer will replace the entire part. Less time and hassle for them.

Another option is to lookup the phone number for Bakes Marine. They are pretty good at steering you to options and cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400