Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2008 LSV and the Garage Door

Hey all. I'm very new to the world of Moomba boats. I've been browsing the Moomba site since mid January, and my wife and I will probably be purchasing a new LSV this February (the boat show specials are too much to pass up!). I'm a sucker for storing my boat in the garage, rather than my cars. I was at my local dealer this past Saturday, and I measured to the fold-down point on the tower and came up with 88 inches from the ground. However, the trailer was jacked up to about knee height on me, and I'm 6'3". Does anyone keep their LSV in the garage? If so, how much clearance is needed with the tower folded down?

Incidentally, I'm trying to sell my 1993 Correct Craft Sport Nautique so that I can buy the Moomba. If anyone knows any interested person, please let me know. I'll post in in the classifieds. I know you all would love to help a future Moomba family member out!

matt
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Hey Matt - I totally understand the garage thing. At the break point (07 LSV) I measured ~82" so you'll need a 1/2 inch or more for wiggle room. I ended up notching out a 6' foot piece of the garage trim to get the boat in; screwed everything back into place; can't even tell. Neighbors thought I was crazy sawin' on the house but then again they don't own a Moomba!

you will need exactly 6'9 3/4" just under 7' with the trailor jacked all the way down and the tower collapsed and proped on the tower board in the boat you must also lower your tower mirror or it will scrub. i placed mine down a few inches lower than normal and she scrubs the weather stripping every time. it's tight but it fits

Good thinking on the tower mirror. Something else to keep in mind is you'll likely be using the tow vehicle to push the boat in and depending on driveway pitch and tire size that may add to the clearence needed. Probably won't be a problem but when it's tight the smallest variable can be a show stopper.

OK I once had to pull the engine out of the MasterCraft to rebuild it. Since I was in my garage but I couldn't get the engine out over the side of the boat as the hoist was hitting the ceiling I couldn't go higher and the oil pan was not clearing the side of the boat, well I let some air out of the tires and got the clearance. When I was done I filled them back up, not flat but enough to clear.

The things we do to keep out watercrafts pristine!!! Last night I measured my current garage door opening. I have 83 1/2" to the weather stripping and 84 1/2" to the actual door jamb. However, my wife and are will be putting our house on the market in the next couple weeks, as we have found a foreclosure that we can refurbish that we can get for almost $40,000 less than what we paid for our house. The new house has a detached, 2-car garage with two openings instead of one. Will the trailer fit through one of those doors? I think guide pole to guide pole is 102".

matt
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

I have the same situation. My boat sits in the garage right now. Instead of notching the garage, I had to take out 25 lbs. of air out of all four tires and it just cleared the door. the boat sit at an angle. When everything is said and done, I put the air back in the tires. I also tied up the Tower to the ceiling of the garage. This take off the pressure of sitting on the boat. I found two ceiling studs and mounted hooks. I also had to remove the swim step. I will send pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by flaswaliba
    The things we do to keep out watercrafts pristine!!! Last night I measured my current garage door opening. I have 83 1/2" to the weather stripping and 84 1/2" to the actual door jamb. However, my wife and are will be putting our house on the market in the next couple weeks, as we have found a foreclosure that we can refurbish that we can get for almost $40,000 less than what we paid for our house. The new house has a detached, 2-car garage with two openings instead of one. Will the trailer fit through one of those doors? I think guide pole to guide pole is 102".

matt
    Hi Matt,

Most one car garage door openings are 8' wide, a few are 9' wide. Also, most are 7' tall, some are 8' tall.

You'll have to go and measure it.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Hey Tazz - clean up that garage for pete sake! ...just kiddin mines a mess right now too!

Nice job on hooking the tower to the ceiling - I did the same and it sure is a lot easier to get in and tinker around.

You guys just need to learn how to buy the right house. Next time you move make sure you do the following.

1) Measure the height of the boat from the ground to the top of the tower.
    This will ensure that you buy a house with the right height garage/basement.

2) Measure the length of the boat to make sure that the garage/basement is long enough.

3) Measure the height of the garage door to make sure that the boat will fit at its most collapsed state.

If any of the above three statements can not be met, find a different house or make sure there is money enough in the budget
    for modifications to the existing structure or build/buy a new one!!!!

Here is what I had to do. Width was good, height was good, length...not good.....$100 and one less wall later...all good!!

Check out my steps to load the boat if you have not already!!!

Click here ---> How to get your boat in the house!

[/img]
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In