Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking about buying a Moomba!!

I've been looking for a new boat for a while now. I've narrowed it down between a Mastercraft X-2 and a Moomba XLV Gravity. What I was wondering is, does anyone have any serious issues with their Moomba, and if they had it to do all over again would they buy a Moomba again?
    Matt C.

I would go as far to say most boat manufacturers have some kind of issues, minor or otherwise. Don't fool yersef into thinking just coz you spend 50-70k on a boat you're not gonna have probs. Me '04, OB as good as it's been, had a couple tings that needed attention. However, from what I've read here and on other BB's, I've been very fortunate and am glad I purchased Moomba. My other choice was a Centurion Tornado.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I considered other boats. Went to several boat shows to see the difference. I ended up buying the Moomba LSV. I love the boat. it is great for the familiy. If I had a choice to purchase another boat, it would be the Moomba again. Maybe this time the XLV. Make the right decision, buy a Moomba.

Default Buy what you want, but I would buy the moomba

I have a 2001 Moomba Outback LS. That is a direct drive version of the current Outback V. The boat is in great shape and runs perfectly. I had to ask, what makes a boat? I broke it into 3 categories, construction of the boat, drivetrain, and features/amenities. It is hard to believe that Mastercraft charges approximately double for a boat that is identical in quality to a Moomba with respect to the two most important, construction and drivetrain. Then look around at the features/amenities the boat offers - are you happy with what Moomba offers you there, or can you be happy by adding options to the Moomba? If so, it seems an easy decision to me. I was.

Plus, if you buy the Moomba, and you get sick of the color after a couple of years, you can sink the thing, then order a brand new one, and still come out about the same money-wise!

Seriously, I believe that my Moomba is a top-notch boat quality wise (and they have made significant improvements in the amenities/features over the past 7 years and probably in quality, also). While I will probably (briefly) shop the competition when I replace this boat, I have a feeling I will end up buying another Moomba.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my questions. Its a big purchase to me money wise, so I need to make the right desicion. Your answers have helped me out quite a bit!
    Matt C.

Ed, I heard about it but that's the 1st time I've seen it. Pam got me a digi-cam fer Christmas. I'll post a better one of mine instead of this one I have day after I got inked

Oh yeah, buy Moomba.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

You cant go wrong with a Moomba!

Cheers
    Jay

I was out in my OB V a few weeks ago w/ Tim Keepers (was on the 2006 Pro Wakeboard Tour). I told him I considered an X2, and he said he was very disappointed in the wake of the X2. Now, his expectations of size and shape are way beyond what I could ever hope to manage, but if you're competitive or interested in becoming competitive, be sure to take a ride behind an X2 if you're still considering it.

I had a 2000 OB LS, and I really liked the boat. The only problems I had were maintenance issues, and I'd still own it if I didn't get such a great deal on a 2007 OB V. I think the Moombas are built as well as anyone else's boats where it counts. Moomba leaves some of the little things out, but they also leave out over $10k of the price tag.

DTLaine how does the wake on the OB V compare to the 2000 OB LS for skiing? I believe the OB LS was reworked for 2001-2005 and then continued on in V-drive configuration for 2006-on as the OB V. I think the pre-2001 OB LS is similar to the current OB?

In any event, I have toyed with the idea of OB V just to get the rope behind the people, but I so enjoy the ski wake of the OB LS and even though it is the same hull, I"m sure the engine placement makes abig difference.

Boat show starts tomorrow here!

You are right, the 2000 OB DD is similar to the current OB. The wake wasn't bad. It doesn't have a steep ramp, but w/ 750 lbs in the back ski locker and a couple people in the bow, it's a decent wake.

The best thing about the OB V in my opinion is the floorplan. It really has a ton of seating. The sun deck is great, and the storage is plentiful. I would be interested to see an OB V @ 35 MPH and a OB @ 35 MPH to see the differnces in the slalom wake. I'm sure there's a difference, but I wakeboard and entertain a lot more than I ski, so the OB V is better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by volfo
    DTLaine how does the wake on the OB V compare to the 2000 OB LS for skiing? I believe the OB LS was reworked for 2001-2005 and then continued on in V-drive configuration for 2006-on as the OB V. I think the pre-2001 OB LS is similar to the current OB?

In any event, I have toyed with the idea of OB V just to get the rope behind the people, but I so enjoy the ski wake of the OB LS and even though it is the same hull, I"m sure the engine placement makes abig difference.

Boat show starts tomorrow here!