Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

sled is right. The prop definately makes a difference. I run the standard 3 blade and the bump is almost nonexistent. The only skiers that notice it are the ones that are VERY particular or guys like me that are a bit past their skiing prime and need all the help they can get.

Benson makes a valid point too. The passenger load can really effect the wake. Too heavy in the back, the wake gets bigger, too heavy up front and the prop wash gets nasty. I use the wake plate to adjust the prop wash if we have a load in the front. And like sled, my wife and kids hang out up there alot.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

I bought my 05 Outback after skiing with the INT league for a couple of years. The first year I skied behind an Outback and a Nautique and then the next year the boat rotation changed to a Nautique and a Malibu. I missed the Moomba. The wake was great but I thought that I wouldn't be able to afford the Moomba, it must be as expensive as the others if it skied like the others. Good thing I was wrong!

If I win the lottery next week I would still have the Moomba, maybe two! Everyone I have pulled has told me how great the wake is.

It was a pretty good feeling and also a little funny... I went to a Moomba Reunion at Lake Havasu last summer and I had the only boat with no tower. I was asked more that once "where's the tower?" I had to reply, "I Ski" the only answer to that was "OH".

My point with the original post was that us Moomba owers have such a diverse boat but the magazines and most consumers only think about the wakeboarding side of it, but this year waterski magazine put the Outback in the same category as the Nautique 196 & 206, the funny part about it is the Moomba has better standard features, such as 50 more horsepower for 20K less... I guess I should say that on the Nautique web site!

I think there is a bias against Moomba at Waterski Mag. I'm not too surprised as alot of the advertising money comes from the big three.

Their recent 2008 guide showed that the Outback could compete quite well against the other boats, but I bet there would be no difference or advangate to Moomba if they blinded the skiers to the boat that was pulling them.

I also noticed that the acceleration curves did not match the reported times to 30 and 36mph. The curves were fastest for lighter boats (such as the Outback).

Of the big three, I nearly bought a Nautique 206. Then I discovered Moomba and am very pleased with my decision. There are no gimics with the Outback. There is lots of room for the family, no compromise on slalom performance and more wake than anyone in my family can handle for wakeboarding.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Laz,

It's funny you say the big 3! I was talking to my dad about this whole subject and he remembers a day when Malibu was not even close to being a quality boat. They were just another boat. Funny how things work. I guess if you put a big price tag on something the average person will think that it must be a quality product. You are right about the magazines being bias to them, I guess I would be too if they were paying my bills. I saw a copy of the pricing per page in Waterski and it is stupid what the big 3 pay per month, no wonder they cost 20K more. About the pull... I get up like an anchor! Behind my boat it is easier than the others, I guess it's that 50 extra horsepower! For Less Cash! I often wonder why people are so stuck on a Name Brand, do they really need to impress others that much? I impress everyone that rides in my boat! My cousin who bought a Centurion (for 5K more than a Moomba) rode in my boat this summer, she said she got it because she could take it home that day. She told me that next time she'll wait for the Moomba.

The Nautique dealer called me a few times to see if I'd made up my mind after testdriving the 206. I told him I would be happy to buy the Nautique if he could tell what I'm getting for the extra $25 000.

He couldn't answer that question and no amount of asking or Google searching could. So the Outback choice was obvious.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Nice! What can they tell you? You get a better engine... well no but You get a better prop... well not that either... you get a better stereo... ok they're the same... the upholstery... no not that either... I know! Ours has a Nautique sticker on the side and those aren't cheap, you know!

Sled491 Guest

Easy now ED,

I was surprised, no impressed that they mentioned that the Outback was one of only 11 boats that got the AWSA certification and that they more or less implied that they were very hard on the Outback because it is so much less in price. In fact they said the savings was not hundreds but thousands under the other tournament boats driving the point home about what a good deal the Outback is or Moomba for that fact.

I have friends with all kinds of ski boats like many here, and they are all impressed with our boat.

I have been going down the slalomcourse since 1978! I remember when I was lifeguarding on the Lake watching the MasterCrafts or Nautiques go by wishing I could own one. There were NO other skiboats. Finally in 1985ish I bought a 1975 MasterCraft for 7500 bucks! That was expensive back then. So yes I maintained our boat and held my nose very high around all other pretenders. And I must admit the gelcoat on this boat still shines, it was made of excellent material. But yes even with the old MC I was a snob. Well 2 years ago the driveshaft broke (OK 31 years old!!!) and some kind Gentleman about 1/2 mile away saw us waving frantatically (as the sun was setting) at the passing bassboats. He lowered his ski boat down from his lift drove out to us and offered us a tow. I stayed in the boat while my wife and kids took up his offer to get in his Moomba Outback. I was thinking what is an outback?! All I could hear was "wow daddy you need to look at this boat." So when we got to the dock I jumped in his boat and checked it out! I was impressed! When I got home I looked them up on the internet. This sumer I even stopped a couple of Moomba owners on the Lake and talked at length with them about their boats. I always had smiles from friendly people. In June we visited the Moomba dealer in Atlanta and checked out the boats. I have over 15 years experience as an automotive engineer and 2 years designing Mine Warfare equipment for the US Navy. Moomba makes an outstanding product! And I will purchase one this Saturday! I just have one question that I can not find the answer to? If everyone else can sell a boat for over 50k that is equal to or less than this product why does Skiers Choice do this? What ever the reason I am sure after I take mine home and use it I will give them a call and thank them, and just maybe ask the question!

Sled491 Guest

ZEGM,

Are you nuts! We as owners were hoping they figured this out

I just hope they (SC) don't realize they could make more money by this Saturday!!!! I am actually writing you an email right now!