Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deadly Sin - beaching your boat

Does anyone beach their boat?
    Thanks,

Jay

screw that, I'de never purposely beach my pride and joy, If it comes to that just sell the boat and wait til their older or tell them just to get over it and deal with the vest. That is the single most crazyest thing I have ever heard. Just my opinions thoe, your boat so beach away!!!

Jay,
    Do what you normally do with your other boat except remember you have the skag halfway down the boat that you don't want to have lodged into anything that won't allow it to move. Stay away from sticks and rocks. If I beach for awhile I anchor out because of wave action and to point the tower speakers to the beach but if I'm stopping for a short time I just beach it. I like beaching at first just to get everyone out so I can stuff done and second it is a natural reaction for people to start bailing out when the boat gets near shore. Scratches on the bottom of your boat is natural wear and tear but gouges are not. Do what works for you.

Well, I may not be quite as direct but I agree. I have small kids and never beach the boat. I anchor in the bay and let them swim to the beach. Sometimes they ride the tube into shore but I do not beach the boat. It has great potential to be hard on the dagger fins as well as the hull.

I also agree, your boat so really up to you.

SD2

I have gently beached my MasterCraft for several years and you can see the results on the keel. However as I sit here and think about the new Moomba I plan on ordering next week I cannot seem to get a vision in my head that I will beach it. Now you can have mama get out of the boat hold the bow in shallow water and let the little ones exit. I once beached my 25ft Cuddy on Shell Island and decided never to do that again after it took 5 big guys to get it off the beach!

I've never beached any of my inboards........I've always been afraid of scratching up the gelcoat.

The nice thing about the Moombas is how easily minor scratches seem to buff out. Moomba gelcoat is tough stuff. From my experience soft sand would be no problem at all...........shale and stones, now thats another matter.

Even if the gelcoat wasn't an issue for me, I'd still be concerned about the stabilizer fins , prop and rudder. That running gear is EXPENSIVE to repair if you get in a bit shallow.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

i normally dont beach the boat , typiclly will ease onto the sand, off load and then anchor bow out with second anchor to hold the stern from swinging around. one thing about moomba's is the drop keel in the front of the skegs does provide a little protection to them if its not real shallow.

stacy

Nice pic Ed ............makes me homesick for warm temps and smooth water.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!

beach 'em all u want boys mine gets scared if the water level gets below 5 feet maybe one day when I make 6 figures and have no worries (pardon the play on words) it won't be that big a deal but this boat is my single largest purchase besides a house so I'm pretty anal when it comes to giving the boat the boat the respect I feel it deserves..... boats work better on water than they do on land

Sled491 Guest

Growing up we always beached our boats. I unfortunately boat on a lake I could even beach on but if I take my boat up to visit my parents this summer I'm almost positive it'll get beached. I understand the pride and joy thing and the cost, so to each his or her own but in my modest opinion no real damage will happen if you watch the rocks and ease in.