Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Trailer hitch hight of single axle Outback Trailer

Hi. I have a 2007 Moomba Outback, but right it is far away in storage.

I'm getting a new car (Honda Pilot) and will need to occasionally tow the boat.

How high does the hitch need to be for this trailer? I have the single axle trailer that came new with the boat.

I seem to recall that the bottom edge of the hitch on the trailer side was 19" above ground when the trailer is level. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I hope the 2008 AWD Pilot will be able to handle this boat. I plan on trailering it 3 or 4 times/year.

Thanks,

Laz
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

I hope it'll be okay. The outback and trailer weigh 3600 lbs, so 4500 pounds should be enough. I only plan to trailer the boat a few times per year.

So far I've managed with a minivan with 3500 lbs capacity, but I'm sure I'll destroy the transmission if I keep using this car.

Laz
    2007 Moomba Outback

I tow occaisionally with a Honda Ridgeline, which is quite similar to the Pilot. My towing capacity is 5000 lbs, and it pulls the Outback V with no issues.

The height of the factory hitch works really well, so you may want to ensure that the Pilot and Ridgeline are approximately the same height.

The other thing you can do is get a reciever that has some lift or drop to adjust the height where you want it.

Laz - The center line of the receiver opening is 20 1/2 inches above the ground. With the slide in the receiver, distance from the ground to the top of the tow ball is 21 3/4 inches. My Suburban pulls an 07 Outback on a tandem axle trailer. Gives me plenty of pulling and braking power to travel safely. - Deerfield

Deerfield, thanks. That info will be quite useful.

Ed: We are planning on getting the Pilot for a number of reasons. My wife wants it for winter driving and carpooling. I want it to tow the boat.

However, we will likely only tow the boat 4 times per summer. Last summer we actually managed with a front wheel drive minivan with a 3500 lb towing capacity. But I'm pretty sure we would have trashed the transmission if we had kept using it.

Now, if the boat, trailer and equipment weigh 4000 lbs and the car specifications specifically say that it has a towing capacity for boats of 4500 lbs, why should I expect a problem? We're almost committed to this car and I'll have a hard time explaining why we need a more powerful one.

Your thoughts?

Laz
    2007 Moomba Outback

Laz
    If the factory tow rating is at 4500 and the total weight is 4000 then you are OK to tow with it. It just "feels" better to tow with something that is rated at 7500lbs towing which is the baseline for most 1/2 ton trucks and SUV's.
    A Suburban weights approx. 6000lbs while the Honda tops off at 4500lbs you can see which one while be pushed around by the boat! I have a Silverado and pulling the ski boat is a piece of cake but when I put the 6600lb Proline behind me I drive slower than Grandma! I really hate pulling that boat!!! Just take it easy!

The Honda has the about the same torque and GVW as my 2002 Blazer and my Blazer pulls OK. You will need a transmission cooler (towing package) if you plan to use it much. My Blazer does not have the towing package and I use it to tow a couple miles away and a few 25 mile roundtripers but I also have the tranny fluid changed more often. On the Blazer and it is probably the same for the Honda, they recommend not towing in "D" that uses the overdrive and using the "3" setting.

An excerpt
    If you think that weight limits are over-rated, or think that figuring out what you can safely tow and stay within the weight limits is a waste of time, read this story. It may change your mind.
    http://www.rvtowingtips.com/Story.htm
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

There is alot of info on this subject on the internet. Read some and educate yersef.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I was towing my 6600lb Proline home one day with the Silverado I was in the left lane of a 4 lane because I knew I had to make a left turn soon. I heard sirens and looking into my passenger side rear view mirror I saw Fire Engines coming up the road. Not wanting to block them I decided to move over into the right lane. Well by the time I started to turn the fire engines had moved into the right lane too! I jerked the wheel back to the left and set up a swerving motion, from right to left the boat was pushing the truck around. Now I was scared as I could not stop it, luckily I got off the brakes and floored the throttle and it pulled it out of this inpending doom. Like I said before pulling the ski boat is no problem for a 1/2 ton truck but when are towing something that weights almost the same as the tow vehicle you don't have much margin for saftey! Again I hate towing that big boat and now barely exceed 45mph hour and never get close to anyone.