Default Custom Cover Help.

OK, so it took 23 months for the $550 moomba logo cover (tie down version) to rip into shreds. I'm now in the market for a replacement. Lots of possibilities.

My first is a polyester top at about $300 - 3 year warranty. These are the high-quality semi-custom versions found on boatcovers.com , etc. Top of the line for them. They sell lots, and I am more than happy with the price and the warranty and feel secure in the material, but I read that it is so non-porus that it does not breath and in my central Florida climate the boat may mildew even more than it does now.

The alternative is an Acrylic top (Outdura, Sunbrella, etc) Amazing lifespan and durability, but a bit tougher to handle, and twice as expensive. $600 ish. I'm not going to get a canvas top again, that is a waste of $. I do use the cover cover (the $50 walmart silver top that reflects the RF, UV and water even more) I may not have to with the new one, but I probably will so is that making it so that it can't "breath" and I might as well get the poly top ?

Also do the semi-custom tops get close enough to look right, or do I need to get one custom made no matter what ?

Any ideas, help, info ???

Thanks,

Joe

Default Cover

I had RANKIN build me a strapless cover and it fits perfect.! Great people to work with and they have all the patterns. Go to Rankin.com and tell them David from central Oregon sent you. Merry christmas!!
    08 LSV, Z-5 CARGO, TANDOM AXLE CUSTOM WHEELS TRAILER.....HOME LAKE IS BILLY CHINOOK CENTRAL OREGON

Look at the new 2008 covers from Moomba. Straps are optional and are made of weathermax material. Very nice material.

I had a custom top made for $400 last year and the people who made it used a material called Topgun and they have had better success then when they used Sunbrella material for longivity. The stuff is made there in Tampa and although it should last 10-12 years the drawback is it is much heavier than canvas and if it is cold out (when winterizing) it gets really stiff. In the summer, I use the drawstring and never use the attached tie down straps and there may be a small puddle sitting up front. In the winter, I use the front straps and a blue tarp and I get no standing water. I use the blue tarp to keep the sun off the good tarp for the six months it is under wraps. The sun is the big killer for tarps. Good luck in finding something that works.

http://www.gulffabrics.com/topgun.htm

Default Moomba Cover

Well, you got 12 more months out of your cover than I did before mine ripped. Not very happy with the construction. I think the fact that my Outback has a tower doesn't help the issue. I am thinking of moving to a snap on cover since this one fits like dog crap when it's in the water (the straps hang in the lake). Most options I've seen are expensive thoght and that isn't good.
    Your body will try to convince you to quit, you must train your mind not to listen!

Sled491 Guest

I've always liked the sumbrella tops and managed to get 8 years out of my last one with the use of a seasonal conditoner. For the mildew although our problem would never be as bad as yours we used a moisture muncher, the throw away kind. However if you have power available I suggest the power versions. Also have extra vents sewn' in. There is even a company that has solar powered fans in there vents to circulate the air that can be sewn' into your cover.

Joe not sure which boat you got but from time to time you can get a great deal on Ebay for custom covers...